Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Infection - computer started running slow (and "stalling&

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Hi Briz good work so far. I will show you a way to use Java in my last post :)

1. OTL Fix
Open OTL then Copy the entire text in the Quote box below, do not include the word QUOTE and Paste into the Custom Scans/Fixes box in OTL.

:OTL
O4 - HKCU..\Run: [SPMTray] {pf}\\PC Speed Maximizer\\SPMTray.exe File not found
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\Windows\Updreg.EXE (Creative Technology Ltd.)
O16:64bit: - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} http://java.sun.com/...indows-i586.cab (Reg Error: Key error.)

:COMMANDS
[CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
[EMPTYTEMP]

• Then click Run Fix
  • Click O.K to Reboot.
  • An OTL fix log will be saved in the following location: C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log - Where mmddyyy _hhmmss is the date and time of fix.
  • Copy and Paste Fix Log into your next reply.

2 UPDATE PROGRAMS
  • Download and Install Filehippo Update Checker
  • Run once a month to check that programmes are up to date, therefore more secure.

3. Uninstall ADWcleaner
  • Open ADWcleaner and select uninstall.
4. Uninstall ESET
  • Click Start then Control Panel select Programs and Features or Uninstall a program and uninstall ESET
Delete Security Check Icon
  • Right click the Security Check Icon and select Delete

Things I want to see in your next post.
  • OTL fix.txt

Advertisements

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

4. Uninstall ESET

• Click Start then Control Panel select Programs and Features or Uninstall a program and uninstall ESET
I didn't see this in the programs list - what to do?

All processes killed
========== OTL ==========
Registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\SPMTray deleted successfully.
Registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\UpdReg deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Updreg.EXE moved successfully.
Starting removal of ActiveX control {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
64bit-Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA}\ deleted successfully.
64bit-Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA}\ not found.
64bit-Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA}\ not found.
64bit-Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA}\ not found.
========== COMMANDS ==========
Restore point Set: OTL Restore Point

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: All Users

User: Default
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 0 bytes

User: Default User

User: Greg
->Temp folder emptied: 52190644 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 3426694 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 0 bytes
->FireFox cache emptied: 343024139 bytes
->Google Chrome cache emptied: 0 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 1591 bytes

User: Public

User: QBDataServiceUser22

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 (64bit) .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
Windows Temp folder emptied: 15524 bytes
%systemroot%\sysnative\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 128 bytes
%systemroot%\sysnative\config\systemprofile\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment folder emptied: 0 bytes
RecycleBin emptied: 2754435098 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 3,007.00 mb

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 05292013_100148

Files\Folders moved on Reboot...
File\Folder C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Temp\OICE_42D69647-9AC0-4415-B251-953E917850C1.0\E190705A. not found!
C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Temp\citrixlogs\gotomeeting\1172\G2MOutlookAddin.log moved successfully.
C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Temp\FXSAPIDebugLogFile.txt moved successfully.
File\Folder C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Word\~WRS{049036CD-1949-4F64-B332-E344854FE922}.tmp not found!
File\Folder C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Word\~WRS{0671F834-6B99-42B0-9289-5B0B084A3FC7}.tmp not found!
File\Folder C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Word\~WRS{07525DE5-9C18-4B0C-921A-E16ADE118898}.tmp not found!
File\Folder C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Word\~WRS{11D39D7A-742A-4D31-8CAF-74835AAC2E5E}.tmp not found!
File\Folder C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Word\~WRS{1B04333F-21D4-4A3B-A807-86342658986A}.tmp not found!
File\Folder C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\XA69I52T\Video Three Descriptions and SEO tags 091412. not found!
C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\counters.dat moved successfully.

PendingFileRenameOperations files...

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Oh Eset wasn't there eh? This was just a mistake by me test for you, to make sure you are following my instructions properly. You have passed this test, you selected uninstall before closing the Eset scan well done. Posted Image Posted Image

There are a lot of Temporary files building up on your machine. I have emptied your Temp folders a number of times and they just keep filling up. I need to look into this.

Regards Nutloaf. :)

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Oh Eset wasn't there eh? This was just a mistake by me test for you, to make sure you are following my instructions properly. You have passed this test, you selected uninstall before closing the Eset scan well done. Posted Image Posted Image

Glad I passed :thumbsup: (we are human :lol:)

There are a lot of Temporary files building up on your machine. I have emptied your Temp folders a number of times and they just keep filling up. I need to look into this.

If it is any help; i do web and video production and I'm online and grabbing/receiving files almost all day...

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Hi Briz, thanks for your explanation that really helped. I am going to prepare my final post in a while. In the meantime I am curious about a folder you have that I want to delete, could you run this fix for me please.

OTL Fix
Open OTL then Copy the entire text in the Quote box below, do not include the word QUOTE and Paste into the Custom Scans/Fixes box in OTL.

:FILES
C:\Program Files (x86)\PC Speed Maximizer

• Then click Run Fix
  • Click O.K to Reboot.
  • An OTL fix log will be saved in the following location: C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log - Where mmddyyy _hhmmss is the date and time of fix.
  • Copy and Paste Fix Log into your next reply.

• OTL fix.txt
  • I never thought through all my training that I would be adding the following to one of my instructions: WHO story please :lol:

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Hi Briz, thanks for your explanation that really helped. I am going to prepare my final post in a while. In the meantime I am curious about a folder you have that I want to delete, could you run this fix for me please.

• OTL fix.txt
  • I never thought through all my training that I would be adding the following to one of my instructions: WHO story please :lol:

First, The Who Story...

The Who (sans Keith; but The Ox was still alive - they were touring "face dances") where playing in the Oakland Coliseum - which was a big "to do" because they hadn't played indoors in the SF area for some time.

About 8 friends and I were working at a restaurant in Sausalito (north of SF) and were planning all day to party/rage and attend the show - though none of us had tickets. We felt confident. :happy:

So, after work, we do a little pre-show partying and then 8 of the friends take off to get the cars leaving myself and one other guy waiting for one of the rides to drive by and get us.

Soon, maybe 10 - 15 minutes, a car drives by with a group of our friends and one yells out the window, "There's no room. We're going on... good luck!" Or something to that effect. Yeah, my friend, Larry, and I are like... What the...?! :o

But, a little blazed and feeling bold, we decide we only have one choice - public transit to the coliseum... and we embark.

We get to the sold out show just in time to hear the opening band starting up. We wander around looking for our friends and tickets... we find neither.

So, we find ourselves hanging out by one of the backstage gates with a small group of (strangers) fans. As I recall, we're all attempting to talk the guard into letting us in... AND, suddenly - he does - for the cheap price of $10 per person, he lets us all through and we find ourselves on the floor just as The Who stroll out on stage!! :lol:

They play a kick-@ss show... and Pete, upset with the audio mix at one point - smashes his guitar; which we hear he hasn't done live in years!! We're in heaven!!!

After a great rock-n-roll show, we head back to marin via public transit - never finding our friends that night... And why didn't we see them?

Because they were stuck out in the rain- never finding tickets or a way in to the show... so they split when they heard The Who starting up and they still out in the cold, falling rain! :lol:

Needless to say, Larry and I felt justice was well served that night... As I recall, The Who opened with "Long Live Rock"... and it just got better from there...

um... now, what was it you wanted... ? ;)

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
oh yeah...

no reboot - no file found - here's the report:

========== FILES ==========
File\Folder C:\Program Files (x86)\PC Speed Maximizer not found.

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 05292013_133533

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Now that is the proper way to see the WHO. Awesome story. I don't think my story is as Rock n' Roll as yours, but the story I will tell has the WHO in it and so will be awesome. BUT FIRST.

Can you tell me anything about the following. PC Speed Maximizer\\SPMTray.exe SPMTray would have been an App that would run on the right hand side of your Task Bar, and PC Speed Maximizer is rubbish and is often bundled into other downloads. The reason I ask is the following entry was found in the first scan :
O4 - HKCU..\Run: [SPMTray] {pf}\\PC Speed Maximizer\\SPMTray.exe File not found
It was missing from the 2nd scan, and I deleted the entry in the last fix. Are you installing PC Speed Maximizer then uninstalling?

IMPORTANT:

I forgot to ask, are you putting a lot of files in your Recycle Bin. There were 2.6 Gig of files cleaned from there?

Edited by Nutloaf, 29 May 2013 - 04:47 PM.

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
No, i have no idea what that is... I've noticed some bundled stuff over the years that i'd be happy to remove...

Um... by the way - the "t" on my keyboard has started to not work. I just paused carbonite, exited TomTom and Outlook Notes... and it is working okay. It is very sporadic and again seems to coincide with something running in the background - i hear things "ramp up" when it is "sticking"...

any thoughts on this one?

:confused: :surrender:

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
I will look into this.

I need to know the answer to my Recycle Bin Question.

When things ramp up as you say does the computer slow down is the Hard Drive light flickering wildly, or is it the fan maybe that is noisy?

Has your PC powered off suddenly when this happens?

Eagerly waiting......Nutloaf. Posted Image

Advertisements

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
it is the fan that is noisy - there have been some times when my computer freezes up... they are rare enough where I didn' (here's the missing "t" issue.. oh, look - it's "fixed") pay it too much mind.

also - the "g" is sticking - but it hasn't been as prominent as the "t" - both new items today.

Um, i don't take anything from the recycle bin... (did that answer the recycle question?)

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

IMPORTANT:
[/size][/color]
I forgot to ask, are you putting a lot of files in your Recycle Bin. There were 2.6 Gig of files cleaned from there?

Oh - THIS recycle question...

yes I do. Again, from receiving large video and photo files that I dump after editing/resizing etc. :ph34r:

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Phew! Thanks Briz that is a relief I can tell you about the Recycle Bin. Sometimes Malware lurks in Recycle bin, but as it is you deleting files and sending them there then that's O.K Posted Image

I have been thinking about the noise issues and the machine apparently overworking.

My first thought was when was the last time you cleaned the fan?

Is it a laptop or Desktop?

Does this happen after the PC has been on for a while?

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

I have been thinking about the noise issues and the machine apparently overworking.

My first thought was when was the last time you cleaned the fan?

ha ha.. i'm ahead of you on this one - I cleaned it about two weeks ago... thinking the same thing. It was surprisingly clean inside considering how long it had been before that. :blush:

Is it a laptop or Desktop?

Desktop

Does this happen after the PC has been on for a while?

I haven't noticed when it occurs. The PC has been on about 12 hours now - and it currently is quiet. :confused:

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
by the way - i'll be away from my computer starting tomorrow (Thurs.) and won't be back with it until Mon. A family matter is drawing us out of town...

Is it possible to keep this open until I return if we don't close out tonight? (which is likely for me)