Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Download Issues

• Please log in to reply

JessicaU

JessicaU

• Pip
  • 7 posts
;) My computer won't finish downloads from the internet. It will start the download just fine but then it will get to a point where it stops downloading anything. The download window is still open and you it shows the paper moving from the globe to the foler but the MB or MB copied no longer changes!!! :tazz: ;) ;) :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is your connection set to cut off if idle, or at a predetermined point by your ISP

JessicaU

JessicaU

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't know if our connection is set to cut off or idle. I wouldn't even know how to check. This is the only computer in our office that has this issue so I am assuming no.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools then internet options then connections then settings, do you see disconnect if idle for 20 mins

If you click on an internet radio station and play it, does this cut off after a while

ISP's usually set a limit of a couple of hours, so this would only apply to large file downloads

JessicaU

JessicaU

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The "Disconnect if idle for 20 min" is NOT checked. But if I play an internet radio station it does have a tendency to cut off after a while!

BTW...thanks for your help!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have a cable modem look at one way cable service unless it is a network PC

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;193011

If you do not have a cable modem can you post the type, and if possible the make and model

JessicaU

JessicaU

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
We have Qwest DSL so I don't think that is a cable modem...or am I wrong. I don't always know what I have, but I can do my best to explain it to you!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I was hoping to check for updated drivers for the modem