Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Front USB port does not recognize my Nook.

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I am not sure if this is the proper forum to ask this or not. I have been downloading free ebooks from Omni Library for several months with no problems. Lately the USB port on my HP desktop computer with XP will not recognize that my Nook is plugged in. But the port does work when I hook up my camera. Is there a way to fix this? I am not sure which port the USB is, since it does not show up when I go to MY Computer to look.

My computer came with bundled software, so I have no XP CD. Any tips would be appreciated!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello bettei

Have you tried the nook on another computer to make sure that it is not the nook that has the problem, you have said that your camera works ok when it is connected but is it connected to the same port that the nook will not work with.

There are many different models of HP desktop computer so can you tell us the model name or number of yours.
Examples of just a few HP desktops available https://en.wikipedia...siness_Desktops

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Hi, I have a HP Pavillion a1560n Media center 2005. I did plug my Nook into my laptop and the light went on in the cord like it should. Then I took it off and tried to charge it, and now the charge light won't come on either. Maybe I need a new cord for my Nook. not sure now. The cord worked yesterday just fine. Frustrating!!

Two days ago when I tried to download a book, I had to use a port in the back of the computer, which is not very handy to get at, and the cord worked there, but not in my only front port which the camera does work on.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Read here: USB DEVICES - How to delete all (resolves some USB problems), Windows Made Easy

See if that brings the front ports back to life.

You'll be amazed how made old USB connections are hanging around.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
You are sure that XP will find and replace drivers that are missing without having the XP CD? Makes me a little nervous deleting something without a back up CD. Also, I have an ethernet cord hooked up to this computer for my DSL line, should I unplug this too?
Thanks!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
All you are doing is deleting USB connections, not the drivers. I've done it many times without a problem.

Since most/all the info is kept in the Registry, back it up before doing this then if something doesn't work right, you can restore the backup. See here: Backup your registry, ERUNT tutorial