Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard wont work

• Please log in to reply

shellyyyy

shellyyyy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell desktop, with Windows XP. Out of nowhere, the keyboard stopped working. I shut the computer down, rebooted and it started beeping like crazy. I hit Escape and it went to a black window where I had to select Windows XP Home Edition, and I selected it with the arrow keys and hit enter. So that part of the keyboard was working, and the green lights were on the keyboard. It booted up, but none of the keys will work and/or respond. There was a message that popped up quickly when it booted up on the black screen saying keyboard error and also something with the disk, disk error maybe it was.

I tried plugging in a new keyboard, USB, and installed the CD that came with it. It seems to have installed properly and the keyboard icon is on the bottom right of the screen. However, none of those keys will work, and non of the lights come on that keyboard. I tried plugging back in the old keyboard (which is the PS/2 type), and that won't work still and now the lights won't come on the keyboard at all.

I did have a virus in the computer about 2 weeks ago where an FBI screen came up and said something about illegal videos and locked the computer up. I got help with my virus protection company to remove it. I have done another virus scan but nothing comes up showing a virus.

I am totally stumped as to what is wrong and what to try? Any help....please???!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by shellyyyy, 24 May 2013 - 11:46 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: shellyyyy

Can you tell us which particular model of Dell desktop it is (Dimension - OptiPlex etc)

Have you tried the USB keyboard in all available USB ports.

Can you get into the BIOS at all - depending on how old the computer is this is normally achieved by tapping the F2 key when the computer is attempting to boot up.

NB: We cannot comment on the disk error message at present as a working keyboard will be needed for troubleshooting.