Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with slow keyboard

• Please log in to reply

turnall

turnall

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
When I try to type, it's like my keyboard is stuck in molasses. I got help on the malware and virus forum, to be sure that there wasn't a virus on my computer causing this and none were found, so I was referred over here. I did do the one thing that was suggested there, of turning off start-up programs, but nothing seemed to help. Once in awhile, it will work right, and then I get fooled into thinking it's fixed, as I thought for a moment when turning off various start up programs, but then it'll act up on me again. I was thinking I'd just need a new computer, so I went to a store that builds computers yesterday and they had two models of custom built computers for sale, one for $750 and one for $950, and they told me that the computer I have is actually better than their $750 option, which made me think that maybe it's NOT time to retire this one, but to see if there's a solution. Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Edit: Add link to malware thread: http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry2287794

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you tried a new keyboard?

If you use a wireless, try a wired, USB or PS2.

Does the problem occur if you boot to Safe Mode with or without Networking?

turnall

turnall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I did get a new keyboard and that didn't change it. I use a USB keyboard so not a wireless one. I did try starting it in safe mode. I can't report all that much because in safe mode without networking I was only able to type some in a editpad program I have- I couldn't access the internet obviously, and for some reason when I tried to open my microsoft programs, it said that the license couldn't be verified when in the safe mode, so there really wasn't much I could type into. But it did type regularly in that editpad. So then I did the safe mode with networking and in the editpad and in typing a yahoo email, it seemed to work regularly. Of course then I came back into regular, non-safe mode to reply here and now it's typing like a charm now... Sometimes it is intermittent like this and it will seem like it somehow fixed itself and so now after the restarting in those two safe modes and now back to regular it seems fine, but I assume that wouldn't have actually fixed anything, and I'm sure as soon as I post this, it'll start going slow again.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It's going to be tough to figure out what is happening if it's intermittent, but give this a try:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

This is similar to what you did using msconfig, but a bit better I think.

turnall

turnall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
OK so I did this- restarted it with the clean boot and all that stuff disabled and it's still wonky. The turning off half of the start up stuff was what I did before and since turning them all of this time didn't solve it, I assume that means that isn't the problem? But that's my inexperienced opinion so I certainly defer to you. I also tried chaning the USB that the keyboard was plugged into, thinking maybe the USB was bad, but no change- still wonky.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you tried different USB ports?
Does the computer have a PS2 (round) mouse port? If so, can you borrow a PS2 style keyboard to test with?

You can also try deleting all existing USB entries in Device Manager, then reboot and let Windows rediscover all that are connected and reload the drivers for them. If interested. read here:

USB DEVICES - How to delete all (resolves some USB problems), Windows Made Easy

Ignore the part about not uninstalling the mouse as that is one of the main ones you want to get rid of. You can use the Keyboard to navigate Device Manager once you delete the mouse. When done, press the Power button to shutdown, press again to reboot. Let Windows rediscover all that are connected and reload the drivers for them. See if that helps.

If these don't help then I think it would be worthwhile to try booting a Live Linux CD or flash drive and see how the keyboard behaves. If okay then it's a problem with Windows and you can try a Repair Install or even a Clean Install if necessary. If you get the same thing in Linux then it's a hardware problem.

See here: How to Create and Use a Linux Mint Mate USB Flash Drive to Recover your Files

You can ignore the part about saving your data, just follow the directions for creating the bootable flash drive to test with.

turnall

turnall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
OK, I think I need more help- I've been trying to accomplish the disabling USB devices for several days now and can't seem to get it to work. I tried I think every F button and none seem to take me to the right place. Any ideas?

I also looked around for a PS2 keyboard and can;t find one of those, and checked at a few stores and of course no one sells them anymore.

Should I go ahead and try the linux suggestion?

Thanks!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Definitely try the Linux option, see if the keyboard works okay or has the same problem.

What is the make and model number of the computer?

To get to BIOS Setup you usually press F1, F2, F10, Esc or Del. Once there you chose the options to load defaults which may be a selection or F5 or F9 or some other key. You need to get to BIOS Setup first.

turnall

turnall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I had to go out of town for a family emergency- please don't close this topic- I'll be back in town next week and will continue to work on the things you've suggested when I'm back at my computer. Thanks!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No problem, we never close topics here. I hope everything is okay.