Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unexplained crashes

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Please refer back to the steps that I previously provided :thumbsup:

Insert the first stick of Ram in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.
Power up the computer and see how it goes.
Make a note of the results.
Repeat the procedure until the first stick of Ram has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.
Remove the first stick of Ram and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.
Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

Thanks for the Speccy url :thumbsup:

From the information shown at the url that you have provided I note that the Ram is the dual channel type, this type of Ram is best used in matching pairs as it is more stable, your MB just may not like having an odd stick in slot 3.

How the notebook behaves with Ram in slots 2 and 4 depends on whether there must be Ram in slot 1 for the notebook to boot BTW.

Advertisements

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
The computer successfully booted with all combinations of RAM 1, 2 and 3 in slots 1 and 3.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
What about slots 2 and 4.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
In post 14 you asked me to "Please try using the notebook with Ram in slots 1 and 3 only and see how the notebook behaves."

The computer successfully booted with all combinations of RAM 1, 2 and 3 in slots 1 and 3.

I also see in post 16 that you suggest that "How the notebook behaves with Ram in slots 2 and 4 depends on whether there must be Ram in slot 1 for the notebook to boot BTW."

Let me know what combinations you would like me to test and I'll happily do it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Try slots 2 and 4 please.

Sorry but I did try and draw your attention to the fact that all combinations of Ram and slots need to be tried.

Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Holy crap that was a lot of rebooting.

I've now tried all combinations of 2 and 3 ram sticks at a time.

Every combination of 2 worked except when ram was only in slots 1 and 3. When only in 1 and 3 no combinations worked. I assume this is the motherboard issue you previously mentioned.
All combinations of 3 worked in all slots

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Can you now try using the computer as you normally would but with Ram inserted in slots 1 and 2 only and the third stick kept in a safe place, this is to see if having Ram inserted in slot 3 was causing the crashes.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Pulled out the other RAM and tried to play a game of League of Legends. Symptoms of system stuttering and freezing were much worse. I really thing this wasn't just slow down from less RAM. I did freeze causing a crash at one point. On reboot temp was below 80. Put the RAM back in and symptoms disappeared.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Run the Windows 7 memory test http://windows.micro...n-your-computer

In case there is a bad MB setting restart your computer, enter the BIOS, restore the MBs default settings (may be called "most stable settings") save the new settings (F10) Y to confirm the changes, allow the computer to restart and see how the computer behaves.

As an asides as you have the 64-bit version of W7 you would get the best out of it if you had 8GB of Ram fitted, this may also but not 100% certainly resolve the stability issue;

Use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details and shop around for the best deal http://www.crucial.c...ner/?click=true let us know what is suggested and we can also look for you.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I am unable to run the Windows 7 Memory diagnostic test. When I reboot to run it, it fails and says something is corrupt or missing. I am then able to reboot to windows normally. It also gives me the option to try and run it again but it fails as well.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
That's odd :unsure:

Have you restored the MBs factory default settings in the BIOS.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
When I enter the bios menu if I hit F9 I get the option of "optimized settings" I'm assuming that this is the default setting you are referring to. I have selected it but still no help.

I'm unable to run the Windows memory tester but when you referred me to the other forums and they had me run Memtest86. When testing ram in that way I got 17 passes without errors. Not sure if that helps. Still not sure why the windows one won't run...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The settings that you are looking for in the BIOS are normally listed as either "restore factory defaults" or "most stable".
Optimized settings has the tendency to make a computer unstable as it sets the CPU and Ram at their highest settings.

Memtest and the Windows own memory test are fine for testing the Ram that is fitted at the time, what the tests cannot do is test a memory slot that has no Ram in it.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I've taken another look through the BIOS and I'm pretty sure that Optimized defaults is my only option. I also don't think I can access either the Motherboard jumper or battery on my laptop very easily.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I would not suggest that you start dismantling the notebook to get to the CMOS battery :thumbsup:

Do you have the following option available;
Disable Boot Booster •The Boost Booster option will remove the bios screen of the Netbook at startup and this option is enabled by default on the purchase.
•Turn on your Netbook normally, and immediately press the F2 key until you reach the Setup Utility, which allows access to the bios options, including Boost Booster.
•Using the arrow keys, move to the Boot tab, then click the Boot Booster option. Press the Enter key, then turn the option to Disabled to disable it.
•Go to the last tab, Exit and save changes.

To run Windows memory diagnostics http://www.asus.com/...82-5B1C9BD3C121