Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Harddrive not Reading, crashes Explorer

• Please log in to reply

terminallyfacetious

terminallyfacetious

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey guys. I had originally thought this was a malware issue, but it turns out to probably be a problem with my hardware. The original topic is there:

http://www.geekstogo...rnal-harddrive/

tl;dr: When I plug in the drive, it makes a noise like it knows it's there, but autoplay doesn't appear. Explorer crashes trying to open the drive or even right click on it. Disk Management refuses to open when the drive is plugged in, no error mesage or anything, and it crashes if I plug in the drive after opening it.

I'm just hoping there's a way to salvage this somehow. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I would offer that the drive is either dead or dying or the USB interface is faulty mate.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Hi,

Is the disk under warranty?

If isn't and you are comfortable dealing with hardware try this:

Open the case and remove the disk, its probably a Sata HDD and can be connected to a Desktop PC as second drive.
Start the computer with the disk connected internally, now if the disk is bad most likely the computer it fail to start, if it starts and you can access the disk the you have a problem on the case and can buy a new one to install the disk.

Don't forget to disconnect everything from power before messing with the connections!

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If for any reason it's not possible to install the drive internally then consider using one of these as they can be invaluable.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001A5SK56