Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics artifacts in brand new rig!

• Please log in to reply

Raphunderwood

Raphunderwood

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all, I purchased a reasonably priced pre-built comp. Here are rig specs: http://www.aria.co.u...productId=54934

Upon first boot the screen was covered in graphical artifacts (jagged lines, missing letters, numbers instead of letters etc.) which persisted through to the OS (Win 7) I installed.

I swapped graphics cards with my other desktop (HD6850, 750 watts, same OS etc.), and both cards worked perfectly, so it is something specific to the HD7950 and this computer build. Could it be 500 watts is not enough to power it? Tried connecting only base essentials i.e. motherboard, HDD, fans, and graphics
card; still massive artifacts, and resolutions higher than 800x600 result in blank screen.

I have swapped monitors; no difference. I Have installed latest Catalyst drivers, c++, direct x etc. which are irrelevant anyway seeing as the issue carries over to POST, BIOS, and boot screens.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Raphunderwood

First of all I must stress that you be careful with what you try as you do not want to void your warranty.

I am aware that you swapped monitors but was the video cable also swapped - has it been checked for damage such as bent pins in the end connections or damage to the cable itself.

Can I ask what type of OS disk it is that you have as in is it a full retail, OEM, downloaded ISO/burned copy.

Am I correct in thinking that you say that the HD6850 worked ok when fitted in the new computer and if so was the CX500W Corsair PSU used to power the HD6850.

Raphunderwood

Raphunderwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The video cables were indeed also swapped and both are fully functioning.

I have a burned copy of my win 7 ultimate ISO from my other desktop, although this shouldn't matter as the artifacting graphics happened immediately upon first boot, affecting all screens (POST screen, BIOS settings, command prompt etc.), and is still happening after the OS install and driver updates etc.

Only the graphics cards were swapped round so yes, the 500w PSU was powering the HD6850 perfectly well (although it is true the HD7950 is a more demanding beast). If it is that the PSU is underpowering the card then what bothers me is that this was sold as part of a bundle package, and supposedly checked to be 100% working.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

I would have been more confident if the PSU was at least 550W but Corsair is a quality brand and 500W is what the card manufacturer recommends so the system builder has not been underhand or scrimped, however please check the screenshot that I have attached and then use the Corsair PSU calculator and you will note that both suggest more than a 500W PSU be used http://www2.corsair.com/psufinder/

Can you run Speedfan for and provide a screenshot for us please;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Raphunderwood

Raphunderwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I didn't realise you had replied!

I'm in a bit of a bind, as I can only boot into safe mode. When I try to start windows normally, I get to the welcome screen, the fan on the graphics card starts going at 100% and the screen promptly disappears, the monitor goes into power-saving mode, followed by a re-boot. Worrying!

Additionally, I have installed but cannot run speedfan in safe mode, so I don't know what to do...

Raphunderwood

Raphunderwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, so after 2 days of swapping out bits and pieces between my two desktops, installing drivers, weeping into my keyboard etc., I've decided to put my ego aside and call it quits. Called Aria tech support, they're gonna collect it and hopefully diagnose and fix it soon.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update Ralph, I am sorry to hear that it is not better news though :(

FWIW I do not feel that the 500W PSU was the problem due to the issue being present as soon as the power button was pressed, AMD do recommend a 500W PSU and that is what you had, Corsair is also one of AMDs approved brand of PSU which they do not do lightly.

As an asides and if you are not already aware of what often happens if an underpowered or a flaky PSU is used please see my canned text below;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

I would say that neither of the above apply in this instance and suspect that the issue is with the HD 7950 and the MB and possibly the PCI-E slot.

Please let us know how things turn out and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask as we are here to help :thumbsup: