Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WSA Startup Problems

• Please log in to reply

ACat299612

ACat299612

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a PC in bad shape. When I try and start the Linksys utility to start the networking, I get a pop-up stating the following:

10093: Successful WSAStartup Not performed.

I have done some searching and can't find much of anything on WSAStartup. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Have you tried reinstalling the Linksys software?

ACat299612

ACat299612

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Several Times. I even tried to uninstall the PCMCIA card drivers. The WSA seems to be some type of a Windows Socket procedure. That is all I can figure out for now. I also have a problem where I cannot run the Add/Remove Programs program from the conrol panel. Not sure if this is a related problem or not.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try this repair utility:
http://www.geekstogo...ction=show&id=7

"This Utility Restores (WinSock and TCP/IP) Registry Keys, that may become Corrupt after Removing the Host Program that Modified them."

Basically some viruses and ad-ware (New.net for example), modify your tcp/ip or internet connectivity settings. Removed said program can leave lingering entries and that may be causing problems. I've used this tool successfully for over a year now, just to make sure that network settings where restored.

If you're not sure that you are as clean as you need to be when it comes to network settings, etc. Just run it and make sure.

ACat299612

ACat299612

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Holy Smoley!!!!!!!!

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!

This is great. I spent about 1 hour on the fone with Linksys support, and basically all they told me was to re-install the software and driver and when that did not work, they wanted me to call Microsoft support.

Thanks for ALL of your help. <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You welcome, glad we could help. <_<

william.foucher

william.foucher

• Pip
  • 1 posts

You welcome, glad we could help. :tazz:

View Post

It was Norton that incompletely eradicated Targetsoft Adware on my computer that caused the same problem. I am a consultant and my laptop is my life. Norton wrote back and said you have a virus, call our pay hotline. After two days of sweating, I googled the error message "WSA Startup" and was directed to you. You guys had a routine that saved me! I love you! (figuratively speaking)
MANY!! thanks,
Bill F.

biff

biff

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having this same problem. I've DLed the fix that the ADMIN posted, I will let you know in a little while if this works. (as I have to get back to the other computer @ home)

THankx

six_t

six_t

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) I, too, got the message window "10093: Successful WSA Startup not yet performed" and suspect it was caused after doing a registry cleanup and then file system conversion from FAT32 to NTFS. Don't know which operation caused it. BUT, the Winsock download fixed it!!

:tazz: Thanks very much for saving me hours and hours of time. I was also getting ready to call LinkSys but decided to Google the problem first.