Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC boots for a second then shuts off

• Please log in to reply

hawksnest

hawksnest

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everyone! :wave: (this is my first post btw)

I understand that this topic has been hashed out plenty on this forum, but I figure that since my system specs are different that there may be something else to address.

So I have built a new system and am having trouble getting it to boot. When I press the power button the fans spin for maybe half a second and I also hear the hum of the PSU during that half second... then silence. Pushing the power button again does nothing; I cannot achieve the half-second boot result again unless I turn the PSU switch to 0 and unplug the PSU, wait a few seconds, then plug the PSU back in and turn the switch to 1. All parts are new (never been used, not even lightly) and nothing was perceivably damaged during installation. All caps looks fine, no strange odors, liquids, or powders.

My specs are:

Mobo - ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
CPU - AMD 6-core FX-6100 Zambezi @ 3.3 GHz 14 MB cache
PSU - Cougar 1050W COUGAR-GX1050
RAM - 16 GB Corsair Vengeance (2 x 8) (PC3-12600)
GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1 GB 128-bit GHz Edition (installed on the PCI-e x16 slot)
OS - None as of yet

Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday hawksnest, Posted Image
Please answer the following question and perform the checks.
Turn off the PSU switch, take anti static measures by briefly touching a bare part of the computer case.

Did you install the I/O shield supplied in the MB box?
Did you ensure the pattern and number of stand-offs on the MB mounting plate matched exactly the screw holes in the MB, no extra ones?
Do you have two power cables plugged into the MB. one 20+4 pins Main Connector and one 4+4 pins ATX 12V/EPS 12V Connector?
Have the CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan header on the MB?
The RAM in the correct slots and fully seated with the locking tabs at each end of the sticks, fully closed?

Please check that the case front panel wires are on the correct pins.

hawksnest

hawksnest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply. I ended up determining the issue on my own. I had applied a little too much thermal grease to the CPU and I assume that the CPU couldn't detect that a heat sink was attached and shut itself down. I cleaned the grease off, reapplied a much smaller amount and now the system boots perfectly. Cheers!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome hawksnest.
Great that the problem is solved and a big thank from the G2G team for keeping us informed.