Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to access protected files via CMD prompt due to startup failure

• Please log in to reply

funnyjon

funnyjon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all

Last night my registry corrupted and now I am in a constant repair loop (Windows 7)

With CMD prompt have taken advice to copy the reg files back from backup, that did not work, have done the fixboot.exe advise, did not work and clicked on startup repair 100 times.

Have created a win 7 bootable USB but can not do a repair as not in windows.

So unless anyone has more detailed advise than above then I need to re-install but there is file I need.

So I can get in to CMD from the USB boot however because the files are behind my username I can not see them as I guess they are admin protected so how can I copy them out of my C: drive when I know they are there but can not see them?

Thoughts and help appreciated.

Thanks
Jon

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you have access to another computer you can take the hard drive out of the "broken" computer and mount it up into the working one. then you can access it and get all your important files off. then put it back in the other computer and reinstall.

if you don't you can look into making a bootable linux USB (search linux live CD on USB) to boot up and copy the files off

the first option is the quickest/easiest in my opinion unless you're familiar with linux already.

funnyjon

funnyjon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I thought about the Linux option using ubuntu, but I need to work out how to get it onto a bootable USB using my Mac !

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.ubuntu.co...tick-on-mac-osx

funnyjon

funnyjon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
this is now fixed, thanks all

Edited by funnyjon, 31 May 2013 - 03:33 PM.