Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Task Manager problem

• Please log in to reply

alexander.gq

alexander.gq

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm getting pretty frustrated with windows task manager. I used this tool all the time but now it won't work! I press Ctrl+Alt+Dlt and the task manager comes up briefly for about 1 second and immediately shuts off. The icon appears in the task bar but when I go to click on it, that too immediately disappears.

I have tried right-clicking the task bar and opening task manager that way and the same thing happens. Same thing when I try Ctrl+Shift+Esc... I have ran virus and adware scans numerous times, cleaned out everything, and the problems still exists.

Anyone?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this is usually an indication that you are infected with malware which prevents you from viewing taskmanager so you cannot shut down the malware.

download the following and use it to kill the offending malware

http://www.sysintern...ssExplorer.html

then use task manager....you should also ....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

alexander.gq

alexander.gq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your help! I havent had a chance to do your advice yet but I downloaded a program called WinTasks. I opened it and I am able to control my operating tasks. Then I was curious and tried to open Task Manager and it worked! I dont know how and dont care but it works! :tazz:

Thanks again!

Edited by alexander.gq, 07 June 2005 - 02:22 PM.

tubui

tubui

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Hi, I have the same problem too..

Whenever I click CTRL ALT DEL my task manager goes into the taskbar, and when I double click or right click it, nothing happens. Then I can't go to ADD or REMOVE programs nor can I click links on AIM. I believe the task manager is causing all the problems. Also when I restart I get that End program for taskmanager.exe.

When I downloaded Process Explorer, it gave me a warning that I needed a newer version of DBGhelp.dll or something, but I can't click on the link or it will freeze, can someone please help me.

tubui

tubui

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Anyone? Please.

tubui

tubui

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
UPDATE:

I found mstskmngr32 and testfile in My Documents and Local C drive. Is this a virus or a computer error? Ethier way, someone please help me fix this, I can't click links over AIM, open task manager, and sometimes my computer just freezes, and I get a not responding message.

Attached Files

k956411

k956411

• Pip
  • 1 posts
mstskmngr32.exe
Mstskmngr32.exe is Trojan/Backdoor IRC-Demfire.
Mstskmngr32.exe is installed as the system service 'Microsoft TaskManager Dll Starter'.
Disable the service and delete mstskmngr32.exe.

larockman

larockman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Wintasks is generally considered bad news as well. Certainly sounds like spyware/trojan infection to me. I'd certainly check out the malware forum! There are a number of free virus scanners out there too! :tazz: Avast is probably the best one out and picks up a lot more than mcafee and norton do. Also it is free if you are a home user.

http://www.virusspy.com

tubui

tubui

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

mstskmngr32.exe
Mstskmngr32.exe is Trojan/Backdoor IRC-Demfire.
Mstskmngr32.exe is installed as the system service 'Microsoft TaskManager Dll Starter'.
Disable the service and delete mstskmngr32.exe.

View Post

How do we disable the service and delete? Sorry, I've never encountered this problem before.

And it won't let me uninstall WinTasks... :tazz:

tubui

tubui

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Can someone please reply to my post.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you need to start your own thread.

as it is, tubui....

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

tubui

tubui

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
gerryf, I posted my own thread and followed the steps but no luck, so I posted a HJT log..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, I am not a malware expert, so let's sit tight and see what they say. If they give you a clean bill of health, give this thread a bump or PM me.

Actually,it would have been best to start your own thread....