Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow transfer speeds with my book live

• Please log in to reply

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I was hoping someone could give me a bit of direction. I understand that I won't be able to achieve the speeds that the company suggests are "possible". From reading other posts on the internet I believe with my current setup I should be able to achieve speeds of about 60 - 80 mbps. At present I'm getting read write speeds of 4 mbps maximum.

I'm running a Linksys N600 with gigabyte ports and a gigabyte Ethernet card.

Any help you can suggest would be great.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What speed does your ISP say you could get or is that the 60 to 80Mbps that you speak of?

Are you running the router with an ADSL or Cable modem in conjunction?

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I'm running with a cable modem and I'm only paying for a very slow connection from my ISP. On speed test I get about 10mbps.

This shouldn't matter though. I'm transferring data over my home network with no information going over the internet or using the modem in any way.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Have a read of this Lance.

http://www.tomshardw...ds-home-network

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Thanks for the reply. I've read that forum you referred me to. They are suggesting that you should be able to get between 20-50 mbps at best on a wireless G router at best. I'm running an N router (300mbps potential) or if wired gigabyte ethernet connections (1gig per second potential) and I'm only getting 4 mbps maximum. That information is from 2007 and standards have changed over that time. As suggested above I realize I shouldn't hope to actually achieve the Potential speeds listed on the box but I still think i'm ridiculously slow.

Edited by LANCE_1313, 06 June 2013 - 02:59 PM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Have you tried contacting Lynksys themselves Lance?

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Yes i have spoken to them they are unwilling to help with third party hardware concerns.