Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having a bunch of weird problems and sound is not working

• Please log in to reply

xMikox

xMikox

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone, I have been having weird problems on my laptop since about two months ago. I just came home from a trip and when I tried to turn on my laptop, everything turned weird. The start up bar on the bottom and all of my web browsers looked like the ones you'd see in older computers. My sound is also not working, it appears to be muted and no matter what I tried to do, it remains muted. Many problems will also have a pop up notification saying it is not working. Some programs will also crash out of nowhere. My computer would freeze all of the time and sometimes it would even automatically restart after being frozen for a few seconds. The internet connection also takes awhile to start up. This laptop has been broken once before and had it fixed. It was also my sister's laptop so I am not sure what exactly happened to it before. I don't think there is any antivirus software on this laptop. I just want to have a laptop that works normally since I am going to college soon and don't have the money to get a new one. I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me fix these problems and tell me what is wrong! Thank you!!! :help: :help: :help:

Miko

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi Mikko,
Sorry to hear about the problems with your computer.
As there is no anti virus product installed on your computer at present, and you are unaware of how it may have been used before it came into your ownership, its well worth you considering restoring the machine to its factory condition.

This will have the effect of clearing out the operating system and software but also clearing any documents or photos or other files and applications, so do make sure your back ups are good, comprehensive and includes everything that's important to you on your computer (stuff you don't want to lose permanenly)

Once you have restored your computer give it a good test before you load applications on it... has it improved the situation?

Don't copy from your backups yet, as they could have been compromised by any malicious code that may have been present on your computer, only copy back stuff when its absolutely necesaary and then only after checking it with your updated resident anti virus product and at least 2 online scanners of good repute.

Post back and let us know how you get on.
Regards
paws