Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista - ' This Copy of Windows Not Genuine '

• Please log in to reply

kelvinb

kelvinb

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Folks

switched on my laptop the other day and the above notification is splashed over my screen but..............

My copy IS genuine it came preloaded when the laptop was NEW - it has NEVER been wiped or overwritten

I have tried putting in the code as per original sticker when prompted but this also not recognised

any ideas ???

thanks for looking

Advertisements

masher92

masher92

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Hi Kelvinb,

I am sorry your are experiencing this issue.

Have any Windows updates been installed on the same or just before this started happening?

To check this we need to open Windows Update. We can do this by clicking the Start button and in the search box, type "Update", and then click Windows Update. Down the left-hand side click View Update History.

If any updates have been installed, can you identify which ones?

Thank you, Masher.

masher92

masher92

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
If no recent updates have been installed, you can also open system restore using the instructions here. Then click Restore to an earlier point in time and choose a data from before this issue started happening.

This is completely reversible and you should not lose any data.

Edited by masher92, 11 June 2013 - 03:46 PM.