Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

samsung laptop running very very slow

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah it would make sense of some software trying to run and slowing things down. Normally I would say a Anti Virus would be the cause of it.

Advertisements

Wheelyjohn

Wheelyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Do you have any further suggestions, or have we reached the point where a re-install of windows is the only solution.
Wheelyjohn

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would say with the age of the laptop it might be easier to backup the data that needs to be saved and do a fresh install. This may take care of the issue but honestly if it doesn't then I would say it is the laptop itself. Doing a fresh install only put essential programs back on and run it awhile to see how it performs. If ok then add another program or software and test for awhile.

Wheelyjohn

Wheelyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks very much for all your help, it looks as if re-install is the only solution. I might try a maintenance re-install first, but at least we have explored all the other avenues.

Regards Wheelyjohn

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By maintenance are you saying a Repair Install?
That may work also and also keep all your data.

Wheelyjohn

Wheelyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Just to complete this topic, a repair install did the trick and it now works fine

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All your data is there also?