Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed add'l memory and pc won't boot

• Please log in to reply

LCK

LCK

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Have a Dell Inspiron 530 with 2 gig of memory running under Vista. Tried to install two additional 1 gig memory bars in the 2 available slots. Received memory from Crucial and used their compatibility guide to determine memory.

After install of memory chips the PC will not post receiving two beeps. I uninstalled the new memory and now old memory will is receive the same 2 beep post errors. I switched all the memory chips around with the same result.

Last thing I tried was to remove the battery to reset the cmos and re-seated the old memory chips. Still receiving the same 2 beep result.

Was hoping for a little faster computer, but instead I am now dead in the water and out of ideas. Even with no memory in place I get the 2 beeps. Hoping motherboard is not damaged.

Can you help? The Dell Inspiron is now unusable...............

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello LCK

Two beeps is commonly a memory error, not only the system memory but also the video memory, do you happen to have an add on video card fitted.
If you do have an add on video card try removing it, blow out the Ram and video card slots, reseat the video card and Ram securely and see how the computer behaves.

What is the power button doing when the computer is turned on as in is it steady, flashing and what colour is it amber or blue ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-530_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

LCK

LCK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for your reply. I do have a video card. I removed the video card and re-seated the memory. Tried to reboot w/o the video card in place and still got same 2 beep response. I added the video card back also with same 2 beep response.

Through all of this the power button is a steady blue.

Looking over the manual you included in the link (thanks for that) -- It is telling me that for 2 beeps no memory modules are detected. Not understanding since I originally didn't touch the modules already installed. I tried with no memory sticks and currently have 1 installed in the first slot -- each time still getting the 2 beep code.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Tried to reboot w/o the video card in place and still got same 2 beep response.

Sorry but I have to ask for clarity did you have the screen connected to the onboard video port when you did this.

The fact that you are hearing the same two beeps both with and without the Ram fitted suggests that the problem is with the MB, this can include the memory slots themselves, a bad MB setting in the BIOS and a bad or loose power connection going to the MB.

Some questions if I may;

Did you ground yourself before touching the MB and Ram etc.
Have you checked that all internal connections are securely in place.
You currently have Ram in slot 1 only, is this the slot nearest to the CPU, this is often how the MB is laid out and many MBs will not POST if there is no Ram in slot 1.
You have tried clearing the CMOS by removing the MBs CR2032 battery, how long was the battery removed for and did you also press the power on button to dispel any residual charge that may have remained in the MB.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday/

Until Phillpower2 comes back in, a possible fix.
I am using this manual, > http://www.manualowl...0/Manual/187186
In the Appendix P#196, Clearing CMOS Settings. Please have one of the original DIMMs installed in the correct slot.
Warning. Follow the safety instruction.

On completion, connect to the AC outlet, switch on the PSU and press the power button.

LCK

LCK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
My suspicion also is the MB, but I don't have a clue as to what I would have done as it worked okay prior to beginning this process.

Yes, I did ground myself before doing anything inside the box. I've added several memory sticks in the past always trying to be careful.

I have checked all the internal connections making sure all are tight.

I have placed the original memory sticks in slots 1 and 3 -- These are the slots that I start with before anything was done.

When I removed the video card I did not have a monitor connected to the onboard video port -- It had a plug in it and had never been used. I re-did this step and am now using the onboard port - still 2 beeps.

When I removed the battery, I had not pushed the power button. I also re-did this step, leaving the battery out for a couple of minutes and then pusing the power button. Still 2 beeps.

I also tried iammykyl's (thanks for waying in) to clear the CMOS but this was also unsuccessful.

I appreciate your time -- I was hoping to get another year or so out of this old machine with a simple memory upgrade.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Would it be possible to either borrow a known good PSU for testing purposes, if not I would remove the present PSU and have it tested, the solid blue LED only signifies that there is power present, please see my canned text below for an explanation;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.
Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

LCK

LCK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hoping to have a PSU to test with tomorrow evening -- I will get back to you with any result.........Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok and good luck :thumbsup:

LCK

LCK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Unfortunately, no luck. Both PSU I was going to try are too old. They both have 20 pin connectors.

I would bet something happened to the MB when I installed the add-on memory. I wish I knew what I did to create this mess as everything seemed okay and I've installed memory several times in the past without problem.

We probably have run out of things to try. The machine is almost 6 years old so I'm thinking the money to fix this would be better spent on a new machine. Any thoughts or advice on this?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
You could try having the PSU tested, (under load) at a local computer repair store, some will do this for free, or a modest fee. If it fails and, providing it is a standard ATX, not an odd size, consider buying one. If it still does not fix the problem, it can be used in a new build.

Phillpower2 may still have suggestion? In the meantime.

To help us configure a build please give us a little some information.
What type of of computer do you want, general purpose, good performance with modest gaming, gamer, workstation?
Would you be happy reusing your existing GPU?
In which country would you be purchasing parts? if USA? please give your ZIP code.
What would be your budget?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I concur iammykyl having the PSU correctly tested first is a must.

RE any other suggestions, it depends on whether or not LCK would be happy to do a custom build or not as this gives us a bit more scope with the PSU options.

LCK can you confirm that the computer is the 530 model and not the 530S, this is important as the dimensions of the PSU are different, please see the attached link (1) which fits the 530 http://www.amazon.co...E/dp/B0041DOCA6 and the attached link (2) which shows the PSU for the 530S model http://www.ebay.com/...0s-power-supply

As the computer is 6 years old it would be no surprise if the PSU has issues as system builders often use lower quality PSUs to keep their build costs down and so they often fail within a couple of years or less if you are particularly unlucky.

NB: As an asides proven brand name PSUs have varying warranty periods from a basic 3 years, 5 years interim and 7 years for the gold and platinum rated models, your 6 year old PSU (unless ever replaced) would appear to have served you well.

LCK

LCK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Guys..... I was able to borrow a PSU and test. Unfortunately, 2 beeps again at start up with the different PSU.

I do have the 530 model of the Dell Inspiron. I have another computer so this one was just an extra so we don't fight over the laptop. It actually was serving its purpose well but I was hoping the new memory would give it a little more user satisfaction. Actually I would be happy to get it running as it was before.

I would be happy using the existing GPU. Yes, I am in the states in the 46240 zip code area. Maybe I'm not being realistic, but I would like to keep a repair under $150 - much more than that I would prefer putting the money towards a new machine.

I have never replaced a motherboard before but I do think it is within my skill level or maybe this wouldn't even fix my problems?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello LCK

Unless iammykyl has a suggestion that he would like you to try first I would now test the hardware outside of the case, this is often referred to as a barebones set up or bread-boarding.

This has the benefit of helping you gain experience with upgrading/building a computer should you end up going down that route, I will hold off going into any further detail for now until Michael drops back in with his thoughts.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Phillpower2.

Yes, agreed., a Barebones would be the next step enabling a good visual inspection of the MB and a test with CPU only.
Would you be good enough to give your canned instruction.
Thanks.

Edit.
LCK
I asked for your ZIP code to see if you were close to one of these stores for their special pick up prices, unfortunatly does not look feasable. > http://www.microcent...or-bundles.aspx