Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop will not boot up after changing power port

• Please log in to reply

jr70895

jr70895

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Dell 1525 laptop

Had an issue with the "plugged in not charging". So, thru trial and error bought a new charger and battery both from Dell. Pretty much the same issue. At times the laptop will charge but not all the time.

After looking on the internet narrowed it down to the charging port, daughter board, or whatever you wish to call it that attaches to the motherboard.

Not a computer repair man by any nature but decided what the heck, and after watching several how to videos I went for it and removed the motherboard and replaced the charging port that was help in place to the motherboard with 2 small screws, no soldering required.

Put it all back together and when I pushed the power button nothing happened. Removed the battery and charger cable, held the on button down for 30 seconds
and tried again with no luck.

Removed the memory and repeated the battery and charger steps, still nothing. The only thing it does is at times when I plug in the charger the power button flashes blue for about 1 second but only at times when I first plug it in.

So, I thought perhaps the new charging port might not be the correct one or I forgot to plug something back in. So, I took the motherboard back out and put the old charging port back in and after putting it all back together I have the same issue. Nothing at all happens when I try to turn it on, only the quick blue flash of the power button for one second.

Ant suggestions short of taking it to the repair shop? The laptop even though is overall in pretty good condition is too old and a basic model to sink much money into it.

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: jr70895

It is possible that the power button ribbon is not connected correctly or is damaged http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VGUQDG

Have you tried leaving the battery out and connecting the AC adapter only.

jr70895

jr70895

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Might be the power button ribbon is damaged but if looks fine to me. It is plugged in and was working fine before I changed the power port.
I did try without the battery with no luck.

I guess I will order a new power button and ribbon off the internet as see what happens.

Edited by jr70895, 16 June 2013 - 04:12 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I would not purchase anything at present and especially as you say the ribbon looks fine.

Worst case scenario could be a system short I1m afraid, have you double checked that every screw was returned to the exact place that it was removed from.

Try removing the HDD and the optical drive to see if the behavior changes.