Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old lappy needing new HDD and upgrade if possible

• Please log in to reply

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
I have a 4 1/2 yr old Toshiba L305D S5900 that the HDD went out on. I want to up grade from a 250.GB to possibly a 300.GB. My questions are, while searching for compatible Drives I could not find any that was ATA (which what I have now) but did find Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD2500BPVT 250GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" ; Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD3200BEVE 320GB 5400 RPM 2.5" PATA, and others. Are this compatible for my laptop and will it get too hot? In researching I found some owners had issues with over heating and/or battery life shorten. Not worried so much about battery as I am the heat. If it does make it a little hotter can I use a cooler pad that has the fan capabilties to keep it cool? I really like that lappy better then this one even though they are both Toshiba. Also can I use a different brand or is it advisable to stay with WD (Western Digital) that originally came with the lappy? I'd appreciate any help on this. :confused:

Toshiba L305D S5900
3GB RAM
Vista
WD2500BEVS HDD
ATA
5400 RPM(I'm thinking it's black not blue if it goes by the ink color of the words on it)

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
Regards
BT

Edited by bigtrucks, 16 June 2013 - 01:45 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello bigtrucks

The information that I am finding show that the notebook has a SATA HDD http://www.cnet.com/...7-33884882.html
These are readily available for your notebook http://www.amazon.co...=pd_sim_sbs_e_4

Please note that while the newer devices are backwards compatible they have a jumper switch that needs to be moved first, some information on this which I have copy/paste below;

SATA 1.5 Gbit/s and SATA 3 Gbit/

The designers of SATA aimed for backward and forward compatibility with future revisions of the SATA standard.[citation needed] To prevent interoperability problems that could occur when next generation SATA drives are installed on motherboards with legacy standard SATA 1.5 Gbit/s motherboard host controllers, many manufacturers have made it easy to switch those newer drives to the previous standard's mode. For example, Seagate/Maxtor has added a user-accessible jumper-switch, known as the Force 150, to enable the drive switch between forced 1.5 Gbit/s and 1.5/3 Gbit/s negotiated operation. Western Digital uses a jumper setting called OPT1 Enabled to force 1.5 Gbit/s data transfer speed (OPT1 is enabled by putting the jumper on pins 5 & 6). Samsung drives can be forced to 1.5 Gbit/s mode using software that may be downloaded from the manufacturer's website. Upgrading some Samsung drives in this manner requires the temporary use of a SATA-2 (SATA 3.0 Gbit/s) controller while programming the drive.

The Force 150 switch (or equivalent) is also useful for attaching SATA 300 hard drives to SATA controllers on PCI cards, since many of these controllers (such as the Silicon Images chips) run at SATA300, even though the PCI bus cannot reach SATA150 speeds. This can cause data corruption in operating systems that do not specifically test for this condition and limit the disk transfer speed.

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Thank you phillpower2 for responding so quickly.

Please note that while the newer devices are backwards compatible;

OK I'm not a full fledged Geek, lol,so could you please elaborate on what is meant by Newer devices are backward compatible ? You mean they are compatible with older devices?

The designers of SATA aimed for backward and forward compatibility;

What is it that goes forward and backwards? (I know I should read on how HDD's function and so I shall when I get time.) ;)

they have a jumper switch that needs to be moved first

I read the info in the quote and it's saying that; Seagate/Maxtor has jumper-switch and;
Western Digital uses a jumper setting called OPT1
(OPT1 is enabled by putting the jumper on pins 5 & 6)
By switch I am presuming there is a fiscal switch that I have to manually flip.
and with the WD I would have to move "wires" from one outlet to another.
Am I correct or did I miss read?

Regards
BT

BTW: When I went to the Amazon link it was showing a 500GB HDD. Is that compatible with my device or was that just an example page?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello BT

Sorry if I overburdened you with too much information in one go :thumbsup:

You mean they are compatible with older devices?

Correct but a little better explanation for you may help, I will not overdo it though, SATA HDDs and SSDs are available as SATA, SATA11 and SATA111, most if not all SATA111 will automatically adjust there speed to SATA11 if they are connected to a SATA11 MB (motherboard) whereas SATA11 and SATA111 devices have a jumper switch (cap) that can be moved onto adjacent pins so that the device works at the 150 (1.5) rate that is compatible with the MB/computer.
HDDs often have a diagram on them showing jumper placements + accompanying documentation should/may be provided with a new out of the box purchase, an example of jumper placement http://www.google.co...Q9QEwCA&dur=123

What is it that goes forward and backwards?

Data transfer rate etc.

Hopefully I have covered the other jumper questions above, as an asides the term jumper switch and jumper cap can and often does cause confusion.

The HDD is compatible with your notebook but you will need to move the jumper as described in the information that I have attached below which also tells you how to install Vista, first of all though can I make sure that you have a Vista installation disk.

Vista installation + see Jumpers and Cabling information towards the bottom of the page (disregard the desktop illustration) http://knowledge.sea...&fs=Search&pn=1

WD HDD information http://wdc.custhelp....erial-ata,-eide,

Hope the above helps but if you have any further questions please let us know.

You are welcome BTW BT :thumbsup:

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Hey phillpower2 thanks again for responding. :thumbsup:

I never got a CD/DVD Recovery to Factory default with this lappy but the one I am using came with one. It's a L305-S5955. The down one is a L305D-S5900. Can I use the disk from this one for the downed lappy?
I know some companies want you to buy their products and let you think you have to get a different cd just not sure with Toshiba.

Was reading the vista installation and need to know How do you determine if the HDD is blank or not? it gives 2 different installation guides. One of course is Blank and the other says New(Second) SATA.Is the second already programmed with the Vista?
On the WD how too link I have the EIDE (PATA) HDD WD Scorpio. I'm starting to get a little confused or possibly reading into this more then what I should. Do I need to remove the back off the Lappy to change the switches/jumpers I've been told about?

Thank you for being patient with me. I have to find a reasonably priced HDD and a Recovery Disk for this .I could take it to a shop but the lease they charge around here is $75 hrly.(47.91 pounds) the parts shouldn't cost that much and with your help through the links you gave me shouldn't take that long once I get the parts.

Regards
BT

Also if I boost the RPMs from 5400 to 7200 and go from 250.GB to 320./500.GB will it run hotter? or should I just stick with the 250?

Edited by bigtrucks, 18 June 2013 - 05:54 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello BT

If the Toshiba disk that you have is the same version of Windows and has the drivers that you need you could use that but for a fresh install you would need to use the 25 digit product key that is unique to the present notebook, this may be found on a sticker on the base of the notebook or sometimes in the battery housing.

Another option for you is to make an image of the present HDD using a free cloning software such as Easeus http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

The jumpers concerned are on the HDD itself and it is simply a case of moving the jumper cap off the two present pins and placing them over another two pins, it will take you a couple of seconds and we will be here should you need us.

A little more heat may be generated by a faster drive but not much, the heat can also be managed by ensuring that there is a clear flow of clean cool air all around the notebook and if you are overly concerned or it is hot where you use the notebook you can use a cooling pad http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834997819

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Hey Phillpower2,
Thank you for the info. I haven't gotten to it, as more important things have arisen. As soon as I get the drive I will be back to pick your brain some more.lol. Right now I have questions that pertain to software on the only computer running in my home. Which is being used mostly by grand children for homeschooling. I will be back here though to finish up.:thumbsup:

Regards
BT

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the update BT :thumbsup:

Another free HDD cloning software for you to check out Macrium Reflect