Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Hijacked [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

a2743

a2743

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This weekend I was using my computer and a page came on with the following headline in bold print "HELLO WELCOME TO MY LITTLE VIRUS, BIG PROBLEM FOR YOU" It was a lengthy page it started with Hello, my name is Max Socklov and I have taken control of your computer and have encrypted all my files if I send $60.00 he will advise how to release my files. To date I took my computer to a friend who works in the IT department of a major corporation and after several hours he was able to remove the virus (he said he has delt with hundres of viruses but this one was very bad) Thats the good news the bad news is it looks like I may not be able to get my files back. For whats its worth in the page that came up it did say that it was impossible for anyone in the world to get my files back even if the virus was removed. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go. I am sorry that you are having troubles with your computer and will try my best to help you. I know that being infected is very frustrating, but I will be here to help you through the whole process of cleaning. Removing malware can be difficult and complicated and will most likely take many steps, so please stick with me until I have declared your computer clean. I always recommend printing my instructions before following them in case you cannot keep this webpage open. Please be sure to alway follow all steps exactly as they are written and let me know what happens each time. Stop and ask if something unexpected happens or if you are unsure of how to proceed.

Please respect my volunteered time and stay with me until I declare your computer clean. If you are going to be delayed for a while, please let me know.

I can't promise anything, but we can give it a try. We need to figure out which virus you had on your computer. Do you know the name of the virus or can you ask your friend? Do you have any logs left from the cleaning process, or possibly any files in quarantine?

Let's also get a scan:

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Please check the box next to Scan All Users.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Are you still with me...I may have a decrypter. Was the screen similar to this:

Posted Image

a2743

a2743

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, thats what I got.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Download this file to your desktop and double-click to run it. Then press the "Decrypt" button and see if it works. Don't change any of the default options.

Let me know if it works and also please run an OTL scan so I can check to make sure your computer is clean.

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Please check the box next to Scan All Users.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic

a2743

a2743

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Good news. Since my friend still had my computer I forwarded your posting yesterday afternoon and after following the instructions all my files were decrypted and my computer is now back to what it was before the virus. I will be picking up the computer tomorrow afternoon. Thanks so much for your help.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Thank you for letting us know.

Glad to help. Posted Image

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.