Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer stalls, CPU drops to 0. Running 32-bit Vista!

• Please log in to reply

Pumpkinbot

Pumpkinbot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First and foremost, I'm running 32-bit Vista on a Compaq Presario CQ60. It's a bit old, but it gets the job done. I've had it for roughly five years, but didn't use it much at all for the third and fourth years. About two years after I had it, I managed to trip with it in hand and break the screen, motherboard, harddrive, everything. Thankfully, I had a warranty, and they replaced it. I'm not sure if they just replaced the entire laptop, or fixed up my old one.

Anyway, for about a month now, my computer's been freezing up every now and then for anywhere between five seconds to a minute. Programs won't respond, I can still move my mouse, but I can't click on anything. I've tried Googling, but it looks like there's a dozen different things that can cause it, and it's all pretty random.

I opened up the Task Manager and noticed that the CPU drops to 0 during these freezes. I'm not quite sure it's a heating issue, as my system's usually around 49 degrees Celsius. I've defragged my hard drive, and it seemed to let up for a bit, before going back to how it was. Updated a ton of programs (Java, Flash, various other programs), and it, again, seemed to get better before suddenly going back to doing it just as often. Ran a virus scan, came up negative.

I bought some compressed air and sprayed into my vent, and a huge cloud of dust came out. It still kept doing it, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

Anyone here know what the problem could be? I can post a DXDiag if it'll help, just say the word.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Pumpkinbot

Go to Start then to Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.

Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply, see below;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.