Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown overheating issues

• Please log in to reply

Mahglazzies

Mahglazzies

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everybody.

First of all, I'd like to thank you guys for even taking a moment to check this thread. I'm starting to get pretty worried, so I thought I'd see if anybody could help me troubleshoot the problem.

Okay. So, I've had my computer for about two years now. For the first 8 months or so, my computer felt like it ran a little hot, but nothing I worried about too much. After the aforementioned period of time, however, I started to notice my fans getting louder. Way louder. I didn't make the connection until much later, but I also noticed how hot my room would get when my PC was running. Games that would once play flawlessly (more or less) seemed to get annoyingly choppy. Sometimes, though not often (and still not too often), my computer would sometimes just... freeze and I'd be forced to shut down. Upon trying to boot it up, I'd get no POST and a black screen, unless I left it for a few minutes before booting. Touching the side of my computer, I could tell it was because it was overheating because it was REALLY hot to the touch.

Now adays, my computer feels like it gets really hot just while simply idling on the log-in screen. When I try to play even older games (like Lands of Lore on DOSBox, THAT old), there is a noticeable heat increase and performance drop. My computer isn't the best, but it should be able to run a lot of things that it really struggles with.

Is there any easy way of narrowing it down? Could be anything, I'll wager. CPU, GPU, PSU, case, fans... I know it's not dust, because I clean that thing at least once a month.

Attached to this thread is a dxdiag reading, a CPUID hardware monitor reading, and a screenshot of the CPUID hardware monitor screen during which I only have google chrome open (aside from the obvious background programs and such). and I don't know if this helps, but this is the case everything is in: http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16811133094

If more information is needed, just ask and I'll see if I can't do my best to answer the question. Do any of those temperature readings sound... off, to anybody? Under the mobo/TMPIN2, 112 degrees celcius seems... excessive. Although I'm not sure what a normal temperature is for any of these components, nor am I sure how accurate these programs can be.

Anyhow, thanks for reading. Hopefully I can get this figured out with some help. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• heat.jpg

Attached Files

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
You are showing two fans but they are operating at very different speeds. What is the part number of the second fan?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can I also ask what the brand and model name or number details are for the PSU.

Mahglazzies

Mahglazzies

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Can I also ask what the brand and model name or number details are for the PSU.

Here's the exact PSU that I put in to my computer: http://www.tigerdire...p?EdpNo=3276574

You are showing two fans but they are operating at very different speeds. What is the part number of the second fan?

Hmm... you're right. I'm not even sure which fan that is though, unfortunately. Some of the readings on there are unknown to me, that being one of them. I'm sure I could figure out which two fans its referring to, but I wouldn't know how to find out which is #1 and which is #2. Where would I find the part number for it? Directly on the fan? I'll see if I can't find something for you soon.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
It just looks odd that one fan is running so much faster than the other. I would think you could tell from the sound or the air flow which is which.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
To help with controlling fan speeds try easytune6 http://www.gigabyte....ds/Utility.aspx

Which version of the HD6900 series video card do you have as this will make a difference to the required output of the PSU, Ultra are also not one of the best of brands and if your PSU is being pushed to provide enough output for your hardware that will also generate more heat.

Mahglazzies

Mahglazzies

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

To help with controlling fan speeds try easytune6 http://www.gigabyte....ds/Utility.aspx

Which version of the HD6900 series video card do you have as this will make a difference to the required output of the PSU, Ultra are also not one of the best of brands and if your PSU is being pushed to provide enough output for your hardware that will also generate more heat.

I'll get the program and I'll see what I can figure out, thanks. Downloading now.

This is the video card I bought: http://www.tigerdire...p?EdpNo=7073913 I have all of my hardware still logged in the transaction history for tigerdirect, so it helps. Minimum power requirement is 500W. My power supply is only 550W. Think that could cause problems?

"Sapphire 100312SR Radeon HD 6950 Video Card - 2GB, GDDR5, PCIe, mini-Display Port, HDMI, Dual DVI"

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hopefully improving the fan speed will resolve the issue but if not I would suggest checking the PSU out further.

AMD do indeed recommend a minimum PSU output of 500W but only ones that are on their suggested list, not all 500W PSUs are capable of producing the amps or the output efficiency that your card requires, I never use or recommend the use of a PSU that does not have a minimum of a bronze rating for this very reason.

The Ultra PSUs that AMD recommends for your card;

Ultra LSX-750 Details
Ultra U12-41561 (Ultra X4 650W) Details
Ultra U12-41562 (Ultra X4 750W) Details
Ultra U12-41563 (Ultra X4 850W) Details
Ultra U12-41564 (Ultra X4 1050W) Details
Ultra U12-41565 (Ultra X4 1200W) Details
Ultra X4 1000W GOLD

Full list of AMD recommended PSUs http://support.amd.c...es/listing.aspx

PSUs to trust and to avoid http://www.pcmech.co...ide-inside.html

NB: Also keep in mind that your case contains a lot of plastic which does not cool as efficiently as steel.