Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 I/O error

• Please log in to reply

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Toshiba.

So after downloading it as a .zip file do I then need to extract the files? Because if that's the case it wants to extract them as an .exe file. I know some of my questions probably sound ignorant so don't laugh (or go ahead and laugh just don't tell me)...lol! At what point does it become an .iso file that I will then use to create my flash drive from?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK unzip the files to your desktop and then using the usb burning instructions when it asks for the file browse to your desktop and the file that is a EXE should show up as a ISO to the USB burning software.

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Alright, after downloading the Universal USB installer do I still select "windows 7 installer" from the first drop down box or something else? It makes no sense to me to select "windows 7 installer" when we aren't installing Windows 7 anymore.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No is that the only choice you have in the drop down menu?

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
No, there's more than 100 choices. Do you want me to list them all?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is there one for the hd or a diagnostic tool for a hd? I'm downloading it now and will post back what I find.

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I didn't see one listed anything like HD diagnostic so hopefully you can find it. 99% of them are names I've never heard of before...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is getting strange. I have the SeaTools DOS CD ISO which will work on your drive. I have uploaded it to my mediafire account and the link is:
http://www.mediafire...lsDOS223ALL.ISO

Download that and then in the USB installer go to the bottom of the list and select other unknown ISO
Then the next drop down window click on the SeaTools ISo. Burn that to your USB flash drive and then reboot your system with the flash drive still connected. Hopefully if all is done right the diagnostic will then start. Make sure to do the extended\advanced testing if given the option.

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Ok, will try that this evening :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'm sorry about all the confusion but the SeaTools is a actual ISO so I don't think you will have a problem now.

Advertisements

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I did all the above, inserted the flash drive and turned on the laptop. The following came up on the screen and stayed there. "syslinux 4.06 EDD 2012-10-23 copyright © 1994-2012 h. peter anvin et al; error: no configuration file found; no default or ui configuration directive found! boot: ____"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wow that is really strange. I just used the same file to check a laptop I'm working on here with no problems.
Have you tried rebooting and seeing if it work then?

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yes, I have. Should I try it on my desktop?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes please.

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Same thing happened on my desktop