Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! PC IS NOT DOING ANYTHING.

• Please log in to reply

bjjobe

bjjobe

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I would like to restore my system to the factory settings but I have no disc to do that. What can I do? PC info.JPG

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: bjjobe

If you are running XP and you have no XP installation or system restore disk or a recovery partition on the HDD you cannot restore the computer back to the factory settings.

Can I ask why you want to do this as we may be able to offer an alternative such as clearing all the junk data off the HDD that you do not wish to keep and then create a back up disk using a free software such as Macrium Reflect http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx

Do you have a Microsoft sticker on the case with the 25 digit product key on it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to add to Phills excellent post is this a brand name system? If so what brand, make and model? We can then give you the instructions to a possible Factory Recovery Partition that may be hidden on your system.

bjjobe

bjjobe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My PC is running slower than malasses and I have this pop-up that keeps asking me to debug or send error report or don't send. I would like to just remove everything and start over. My daughters have loaded a lot of things that I don't need now that they have moved on so any help would be greatful.

bjjobe

bjjobe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Product Key

Edited by phillpower2, 26 June 2013 - 11:11 AM.
Product key removed for security

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry if I confused you I only intended to ascertain that you had one should it be required :thumbsup:

Please answer the question asked by Ron as to whether or not it is a brand name computer such as Dell or HP for example, if so it could possibly have a recovery partition on the HDD which may save you a lot of time and trouble.

bjjobe

bjjobe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, if I can't get this back to factory settings then I want to wripe out everything that I can to clean this up. I just need to be able to get on the internet and browse and I can't do that. Please help me clean this up before I crash. thanks

bjjobe

bjjobe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
To at least get my internet working and nothing more, how do I remove everything but what is needed for internet. I don't care to have anything else on this PC but the internet. PLEASE HELP.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What about my question ? :confused: :whistling:

You need to help us by supplying the information I asked. We want to help but you not answering my questions is stopping us from giving you the instructions as each manufacturer has a different way to do a factory restore on their systems.