Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 will not install updates

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
thanks naathim. sorry i haven't responded earlier, got caught up in lots of work.
i just have one question before i go through with this. i've never started windows 7 in safe mode before.
googling it i understand i should restart and as the computer is booting press F8.
then it says i will be represented with 3 options:

using the arrow keys on your keyboard, highlight either the Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or Safe Mode with Command Prompt option and press Enter.

i'm not sure which to choose. I'm guessing it's the third option - Safe Mode with Command Prompt since I'll be needing to type those commands. could you please just confirm this?

thanks!

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Hello :)

I'm sorry I haven't provided complete instructions on how to get to safemode.

Most machines will respond when you press F8 and listed by you options will appear.
Please use the Safemode option. A normal desktop with very big icons should appear. That's normal.
Go Start -> in the searching box write down cmd.exe and wait until it'll be found.
Rightclick on it and choose Run as administrator.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
hi. i finally got the chance to go through all the steps of naathim's instructions, regarding the command lines in safe mode.

i entered each line exactly, one by one, and hit return after each line.

the first batch (starting with net stop bits) went smoothly.

same goes for the next batch with the very long lines.

in the next batch with all the regsvr32 lines - the first several lines were successful, then at some point all the lines returned errors. but i kept going, ignoring the errors, since it was stated in the instructions that i should expect errors to come up.

then i typed: netsh winsock reset. it asked me to restart, but as instructed i continued to the next batch of commands.

this next batch of commands produced several errors and i've noted each one:

ipconfig /flushdns

Could not flush the DNS resolver cache: function failed during execution.

net start bits

System error 1068 has occurred.
The dependency service or group failed to start.

net start wuauserv

System error 1084 has occurred.
this service cannot be started in safe mode

net start cryptsvc
- this one got no errors

then, after typing the last command:

bitsadmin /reset /allusers

i got this message:

Bitsadmin version 3.0 [7.5.7601]
Bitsadmin is depreciated and is not guaranteed to be available in future versions of Windows . Administrative tools for the BITS service are now provided by BITS POwerShell cmdlets.
Unable to connect to BITS - 0x 8 00 7042c

EDIT: forgot to add that after all of this, i restarted normally to windows. as before, i got the popup saying that windows cannot automatically check for updates.
i checked the windows update panel. it seems to have been nullified. latest update: never.
i clicked on check for updates. it prompted me as before to restart. i restarted. no updates were installed.
so it seems that the problem persists to exist.

Edited by adifrank, 14 July 2013 - 01:17 PM.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Hello.
For the couple of next days I'm on vacation and will be visiting forum rarely and rather from my mobile.

Please reboot to normal mode on, then click Start -> run -> services.msc
Check the status of this services:
- BITS
- cryptsvc
- wuauserv

I need to know what is their actual status and type of launching.

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Please, do not edit your posts. Rather post a new reply.

Commands you've provided have to clear all the updates and to start from new ground.
Check the three services I've mentioned earlier.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
hi naathim. thanks for helping!... i feel guilty about you doing this on your vacation : /
anyway, this is the information you asked for:

Check the status of this services:
- BITS
- cryptsvc
- wuauserv
I need to know what is their actual status and type of launching.

- couldn't find BITS in the list of services. is it possibly short for Background Intelligence Transfer Service? if so, status is blank and startup type is manual

- cryptsvc i'm assuming is cryptographic services. status: started, startup type: automatic

- wuauserv - i couldn't figure out what that is in the list

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
It's OK, tonight I'm present from my netbook, so it isn't any problem :)

But be patient if I will be less responding till 23rd of July.

BITS - yes, Background Intelligence Transfer Service.
wuauserv - Windows Update Service.
Need to know it's status and launchtype before next action.

Edited by Naathim, 14 July 2013 - 02:17 PM.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

wuauserv - Windows Update Service.
Need to know it's status and launchtype before next action.

startup type: automatic (delayed start)

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Go to start menu, in the search box write services.msc and wait till appears. The right-click and choose run as administrator.
Go to BITS Service, right click, properties, and choose startup type as automatic with delay
Next click to start service.

After that once more try to download System Update Readiness Tool.
Run it as admin, and wait patiently. It may look like hanging, but let it finish. Normally it goes in 15-20 minutes, but for me it tooked over 1,5h to go.

Next go to
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS
And post the content of

CheckSUR.log

If it'll be too big to post, copy the file to your desktop and attach.

Edited by Naathim, 14 July 2013 - 02:58 PM.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
downloaded the file (Windows6.1-KB947821-v27-x64)
i right-clicked and didn't see an option to run as administrator. so i just selected open while pressing ctrl + shift. i'm not sure if that did anything, but anyway, the program installed.

here is the log:

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
Package Version 19.0
2013-07-14 17:24

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
(f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x00000000 servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~10.2.9200.16437.mum does not match the actual file name
(f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x00000000 servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~10.2.9200.16437.mum does not match the actual file name

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 1106
Found 2 errors
CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 2

Unavailable repair files:
servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum
servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum
servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.cat
servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.cat

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi Adifrank,

Are you still with us?

Can you try to reinstall the Windows Update agent by visiting this page using Internet Explorer. Let the FixIt run and follow the instructions.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
yeah! still here. naathim wrote to expect slow response due to vacation time, so i'm being patient : )
will try your suggestion later tonight.

Edited by adifrank, 16 July 2013 - 03:54 PM.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Can you try to reinstall the Windows Update agent by visiting this page using Internet Explorer. Let the FixIt run and follow the instructions.

hi sleepydude. i tried the above this morning before leaving for work. it said that it fixed something regarding windows updates. so i went to the windows update panel and clicked "check for updates". it was then prompted to restart, saying that it cannot install updates without restart. this is the same message as i would get previously, so already my hopes were not high.
i restarted the computer and once again got the "windows can't check for updates automatically" pop-up : (
i checked the windows update panel and it looks as though no updates were installed. i clicked "check for updates" and as before was again promted to restart.

so it seems that this did not solve the issue.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Can you please attach the log c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log again.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Can you please attach the log c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log again.

file attached

Attached Files