Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ms2285 wont boot

• Please log in to reply

darylj

darylj

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have a ms2285 that wont boot. when i push the power button the power light turns on. screen stays black. hdd light wont turn on. the fan and hard drive sound like they turn on. i checked the hard drive and it works fine. the problem started on a hot day. i left it on, and when i returned the computer wouldnt wake up. did it over heat, is it malware, or could it be a fan failure that wont let me turn the system on?

Edited by darylj, 01 July 2013 - 03:52 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: darylj

Some questions if I may;

i push the power button the power light turns on. screen stays black. hdd light wont turn on

Have you tried connecting the notebook to an external screen by way of the HDMI or VGA port.
Does the HDD activity LED blink at any time.
Does the power light on the notebook stay lit.

the fan and hard drive sound like they turn on.

Does the fan sound as if it stays running.
You have said that the HDD will not turn on, could the sound be the optical drive, has a disk been left in the drive for example.

i checked the hard drive and it works fine

How was this checked please.

the problem started on a hot day. i left it on, and when i returned the computer wouldnt wake up. did it over heat

Where was the notebook left as in was it left on a flat, hard and even surface or on a bed, cushion or other soft furnishing.

is it malware

Sorry but we cannot speculate on this but if it becomes apparent that it is a possibility we must stop the assistance being offered here until you get the all clear from the staff on the malware forum/s.

could it be a fan failure that wont let me turn the system on?

It is possible but we will have a better idea when you have answered all of the above questions.

darylj

darylj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i got the laptop to turn on by hold f1-4 and enter when i turn it on. i shut it down and restarted it after an update, it seems to work fine. i closed the screen while it was on, when i returned it wouldnt wake up. then today i got it to work again. im concerned about shutting it down because it might not work again. when i do have the problem, the power light stays on and is solid. the hdd light doesnt blink. sometime the fan stays on but no everytime. the optic drive turns on and the hard drive works fine, i checked it in another computer. the screen stays black. the f1-4 and enter trick doesnt work everytime either (only worked twice).
when the problem started it was over 90 degrees out and the computer was in a chair with very little cusion

thank you for you time and knowledge

Edited by darylj, 02 July 2013 - 04:31 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
When you next have the notebook working can you post back and let us know so that we can do some troubleshooting such as checking the power options for example.

when the problem started it was over 90 degrees out and the computer was in a chair with very little cusion

A constant 90 degrees is hot enough on it`s own to cause overheating problems with a notebook but you should never use a notebook on anything other than a firm and even surface so that the air can move freely around the computer and the hot air from inside the case can be expelled through the exhaust vents, soft furnishings such as cushions prevent this and so the notebook overheats and the thermal sensor shuts the computer down to avoid frying the CPU, you will note that I do not use the term laptop as it is not good practice to use a notebook on your lap for the same reasons as above + a lot of dust etc can be drawn in by the cooling fan.

Not the same brand of notebook as yours but the cleaning principal is the same http://h10025.www1.h...product=3927423

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup: