Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Routers with Vonage

• Please log in to reply

spamking2000

spamking2000

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Other people have to be having this problem, but I'm not finding anything out there on the web on how to fix it. I've found some general info, but nothing terribly specific.

Here's basically what my setup looks like:

Cable Modem -> Linksys WRT54G -> Computer 1
-> Computer 2
-> Computer 3
-> Computer 4 (wireless)
-> Linksys RT31P2 Router with 2 Phone Ports

Connected to the RT31P2 -> Computer 5
-> Print Server (Lexmark MarkNet Pro)

From Computer 5, I can ping anything on the network.
From any other computer, I can't ping Computer 5 or the MarkNet

The WRT54G address is set to 192.168.1.1, the address on the RT31P2 is set to 192.168.15.1.

In the advanced routing table on the RT31P2 (which remember is connected to the WRT54G) I added a line with the destination IP for the WRT54G (192.168.1.0), and the gateway as the address of the RT31P2 (192.168.15.1). Doing this enabled me to be able to ping the rest of the network from Computer 5, which before adding that, I could get on the web, but that was it.

I tried adding a similar line to the WRT54G. I tried it, tried a few different addressing schemes and here's the best I've come up with: Without the added line in the advanced routing table, the ping times out. With it, I get destination host unreachable.

I need to get the machines hooked up on the WRT54G to see the systems on the RT31P2 especially so that I can make use of the print server. I've got to be missing something obvious here, but I'm frustrated and I don't know what it could be.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
spamking2000

Advertisements

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
if you can make me a small map of your current setup it would be very handy.. others might directly know what you mean but i have to see your setup maybe with ip's from a map view.

Rik

spamking2000

spamking2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Rik - Thanks for taking a look at this. I have to be missing something simple. I'm just not sure what it is. I created a quick diagram of my network that should be helpful. Basically, the slaved router can see everything on the network (although it doesn't resolve host names). The master however doesn't see the slave. I tried adding the router IP's as destination IP's in the advanced routing tables on each router. That worked from the slave to get me access to the master, but not vice versa.

Thanks,
Derrick

Attached Files

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
ok this looks excellent.. thanks. let me look at it in a minute ill be right back with you

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
ok lets do some trouble shooting here:

This is my question:
Can computer 1-4 ping the RT31P2 (the 192.168.15.1) ? ?

spamking2000

spamking2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nope... from computers 1-4 when I ping anything on the 15 subnet I get destination host unreachable at 192.168.1.1. I tried doing a traceroute to 192.168.15.1 and got the same thing.

Thanks,
Derrick

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
ok so the first acces pont does not route it through.
Is there a reason why the second network has to be in a different range ? That would solve it right away. You could set the accespoint up as repeater in that way.

How is the second accespoint setup now? as gateway?

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
by the way:

here you will find the latest firm wares for your wrt54g

http://www.linksys.c...re.asp?fwid=201

spamking2000

spamking2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the info on the firmware upgrade. I did that, however as to be expected, by itself it didn't change anything.

Per your previous post, are you saying just get everything on the same subnet, or actually have the DHCP range be the same? I tried putting the second access point on the same subnet, and just made the range a higher one than the first access point. You think the same DHCP range might fix it?

Thanks,
Derrick

spamking2000

spamking2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Oh, I forgot to mention, I do have them both set up as gateways. I think that is likely part of my problem because the RT31P2 (second access point) is set up as a gateway, but I haven't found anywhere in the settings to switch between having it act as a gateway or a router.

My guess is that I could swap and make the RT31P2 the first access point and have the WRT54G come off of it, but that would mean that all 5 machines on that would be sharing one 100mb/s port to get out to the internet. Logic tells me that it shouldn't matter because the cable modem is only 4mb/s anyway, but intuitively I'm still thinking I'd see some delays even if only caused by switching done between the routers.

If I can get it to work, the set up that I have now would be ideal because the print server doesn't need access to the internet and the 5th computer that's on the second access point mostly only needs LAN access anyway (however not always).

Thanks,
Derrick

Advertisements

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
ok ... you are doing NAT through NAT and that is not gonna work.
I would then move the accespoit from the bottum up and replace the one down with a hub. So then you get everything in 1 range.

What do you think about that? you cannot route nat back through nat.

hagies

hagies

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi - Could you give us the routing table on both your "gateways", I think there might be an entry missing in the table your no1's routing table. What i'm basically want to see if the "gateway 1" knows that your "subnet 15" exists?

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
i believe he has double NAT. put a switch in there (in case it is hard wired and when you are not using the wireless.

Rik

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
[B]I agree that I believe this is a problem with a missing route. The RT31P2 should actually have 2 interfaces, one external and one internal. The external should be on the 192.168.1.0 network, and the internal using 192.168.15.0 network. One way to quickly determine if it is a route problem, you can enable RIP on both of the routers. That will automatically let them advertise and find the other network. If that works, then it's definetly a missing route. On the RT31P2 you should have a route similar to this:
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

On the WRT54G you should have a route like this:
192.168.15.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.? <----should be the external interface of the RT31P2.

Rico, residential routers do not actually use NAT, they use PAT. Even still, I don't believe this is the problem since the internal network is messed up. Using IP addresses to determine which router is missing what, from computer 1-4, ping the external interface of the RT31P2 should be on the 1.0 network. If you can do that, try to ping the internal interface of the RT31P2 (192.168.15.1)

Greazy Mcgeezy

Edited by Greazy, 16 June 2005 - 07:59 PM.

argylltech

argylltech

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm curious as to which port you are using. I'm using a crossover cable to link the two routers and it's working. I think I could set it up better still, but I'm not sure which settings to tweak. I am using the WRT54G with the RT31P2, the RT31P2 is the DHCP, however I have the WRT54G setup as a gateway which I don't believe to be correct. The IP addresses are WRT54G, 192.168.1.1 and the RT31P2 is set to 192.168.1.110. I have the Modem going to the RT31P2 Internet port and then the crossover cable going from one of the LAN ports to one of the LAN ports on the WRT54G and everything can see each other.