Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crash Dump, BSOD and problems getting into Windows....

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hi!

Couldn't get into Windows, tried Safe Mode. That worked. Scanned with Malware Bytes -- nothing. Rebooted, saw a Blue Screen of Death and the computer suddenly shut off. Waited...booted AGAIN, thinking the crash dump perhaps fixed everything, but then a DOS page popped up telling me I should run Windows Repair.

I hesitantly did so.

Eventually got into Windows and it reprinted the error message for me (below). Advice please! THANK YOU!!

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: c000021a
BCP1: FFFFF8A0091B9D30
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC0000001
BCP4: 0000000000010580
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\070213-21528-01.dmp
C:\Users\K-OK\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-36769-0.sysdata.xml

The site wouldn't allow me to attached the .dmp file; the XML file doesn't seem to be in the folder listed above.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most common culprit of this is mismatched windows system files. The best way to resolve this is to run a startup repair for Win7 as you have.

OK the issue seems to be the Win 7 OS itself that is causing your problem so lets do a Repair Installation by following the steps HERE.
Please read and follow all instructions carefully.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hey, Rshaff!

Thanks for replying. Before I do this, a question:

Windows was pre-installed on this system. So it was an image file. Should I use the Windows disc which came with the computer or do I DL the Win7 link it suggests?

Thx!

-PBot

Edited by Phlegmbot, 05 July 2013 - 01:38 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am taking it your disk that came with the system is a recovery disk and is so marked like that?

Being that you have a legal version installed there is another way to do this. The following is from a fellow tech here at GTG that uses it when someone like yourself does not have a actual full installation disk.

You can download a legal copy of Windows 7 with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO. The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.

• Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
  • Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
  • Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Thx! I'll try that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Once you get the image burned to a disk then you should be able to follow the instructions on how to do a startup repair.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Ah. OK. I'll likely do it tomorrow or Sun.

Thanks again!

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hey there!

Sorry for the delay -- not only backing up files but was still recovering files for the HD trouble from a couple of weeks back (mentioned above).

So...OK, it turns out the disc which came with my system IS indeed a Windows 7 install disc, but it's one created by Dell. (Color me shocked that it wasn't just a typical sys-restore disc.) I went through the steps (far less complex than they seemed at a glance).

It's telling me there are two compatibility issues. Here they are:

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

Your current version of Windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade.

Do I choose Custom Upgrade to work around this issue or do I go to:
http://www.heidoc.ne...-download-links
And DL: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 U (media refresh) X17-58997.iso

The other issue:

Upgrading Windows will affect the following devices and/or programs:

These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel, and search for "uninstall a program". (Note: Programs marked as * can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.)
ATI Catalyst Control Center *

This is a control center related to my video card. Not a big deal; I can either upgrade this or find the same version on one of my system discs.

Just wanted to be 100% certain about the next step before I do it. Thx!

-PBot

Edited by Phlegmbot, 08 July 2013 - 10:11 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The first issue is easy to overcome.

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO. The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
  • Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
  • Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
  • Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The second issue is as you believe and just a video card driver that will need to be reinstalled.

Advertisements

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

The first issue is easy to overcome.

Hey there! OK, it's been taking me longer to get to this I'd hoped. Sorry.

I just went to the link you gave me above...it's exactly the same as the link I gave you which you seemed to imply was not offering "a legal copy." I've DL'd the version of Windows I mentioned in my previous post. Which I believe is what I have (win7, Home Premium, x64).

So, sorry to do this AGAIN, but I want to be sure there's not something I'm misunderstanding: Is there a reason you seem to be correcting the link and info I gave but are giving me the same exact info? Did you mean to give me something else? Just want to be sure we're all the same page here. THANKS ONCE MORE!!

Edited by Phlegmbot, 10 July 2013 - 09:50 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Firstly I did not read your link completely through to see that it was linking to Digital River also in. I used a direct link that we all know and the instructions we all have used to make things easier and clearer for anyone in the future who may come across this thread.
Secondly when I posted those instructions you had not said anything about downloading a copy of Windows at all but that the installation disk you were using was for a Dell.
That means your system is a Dell system (Post8) and the disk is a recovery disk and not a full installation disk.
So if your system is a Dell that is why I suggested the use of Digital River link in (Post4
If your system is not a Dell then that answers a lot for the issue. You never mentioned anything about the brand of system but only that the OS was preinstalled and most of the time with preinstalled OS's there is no media.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Firstly I did not read your link completely through to see that it was linking to Digital River also in.

Perhaps I'm reading a tone in this, RShaf, but starting with "firstly" implies a certain angry tone. If you're angry, I'm uncertain why that is, I was just making certain that we're both on the same page here.

I used a direct link that we all know and the instructions we all have used to make things easier and clearer for anyone in the future who may come across this thread.
Secondly when I posted those instructions you had not said anything about downloading a copy of Windows at all but that the installation disk you were using was for a Dell.
That means your system is a Dell system (Post8) and the disk is a recovery disk and not a full installation disk.
So if your system is a Dell that is why I suggested the use of Digital River link in (Post4
If your system is not a Dell then that answers a lot for the issue. You never mentioned anything about the brand of system but only that the OS was preinstalled and most of the time with preinstalled OS's there is no media.

As far as the rest, I did explain in #8 that the disk I have does NOT say recovery disc. It states that it's an INSTALLATION disc. What it reads, and this is right off the disc, is this: "Operating System - Already installed on your computer. Reinstallation DVD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit." When I put it in, I get the Windows 7 installation pop-up.

As I explained, it would NOT install b/c of the messages I mentioned in that same post. I'm assuming it's b/c of the additions of SP1 on the computer. Hence the reason I was assuming I still need the DL. BUT, after I went to follow the link, I wanted your expertise to clarify I was doing the right thing. And you seemed to correct me but posted the very same link.

So, when you get a chance, please confirm for me that I should DL and utilize that Win7 SP1 iso. Or, let me know what you feel I should DL. If you're frustrated for some reason, I'd greatly appreciate if you'd ask someone else to just let me know what the proper steps are for sure.

Thanks again, RShaf. I really do appreciate your help and the time you put into this. Sorry if you thought I was getting frustrated w/you. I was not.

-PBot

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No I;m not angry at all but simply stating that I didn't click the link you provided to see that the page linked to Digital for the file.
As far as the Digital download we both linked that would not be a Dell branded installation disk so all drivers would have to be installed manually. Please don't think I am angry or upset but only trying to understand everything just as you are.
You say you have the Dell disk which would be original to the system but you also said you downloaded from Digital River also so I'm confused if one or both are causing the issue. Sorry if I'm not caught up yet but I don't want to point you in the wrong direction.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Thanks, man.

I appreciate that fast reply & explanation.

OK. So, here's where I'm at:

The original disc: I tried the installation, got the error message stating that it can't install b/c the version on my system is newer than the one on the disc.

Digital River: I've DL'd the ISO at the link we both like ( :thumbsup: ), but the iSO is just sitting on my computer desktop. I've not actually tried the installation or even burned it to a disc as yet.

Hope that clarifies.

Also, I've a few questions:
1. You said I'd lose my drivers. Even if we're just doing a Win7 repair? I mean, I can reinstall them, and all the Windows updates, but I just want to be sure I'm not creating more problems than I'm repairing.

2. I've not had the BSOD since I posted. And Windows updates seem to working. Do you feel I should still go through with the repair? Will waiting be worse?

Thank you once more!!