Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Skype icon question

• Please log in to reply

daddyhc

daddyhc

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I recently downloaded and up date from Skype. I unchecked several foistware offers but then came the "create an icon for the desktop box. I already had an icon so I unchecked it and as a result, I lost the icon on the desktop. I have tried various methods from the Skype support line with no success. I have redownloaded the update which no longer shows the desktop check box. Any ideas on how to restore the icon? This is Win 7, 64 bit.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Go into Start/ All Programs and scroll down to the Skype Folder.

Left click it once to open it and you will see the blue cloud icon with an S in it.

Right click on it once and click Send To then choose Desktop (create shortcut).

Done.

daddyhc

daddyhc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the reply...but it seems more complicated. The " all programs" does not contain the Skype program. I have the Skype cloud on my task bar and the following are listed in the control panel: Skype Free download package; Skype Launcher (from Toshiba); Skype 6.6 (from Skype Tech). I don't know why Skype disappeared from "all programs". The Skype works from the task bar icon but I would rather use it from desk top.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello daddyhc

You could save all your personal data, uninstall - then do a fresh install of Skype and then restore your personal files etc https://support.skyp...windows-desktop

daddyhc

daddyhc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the good answers guys, I tried everything but then just went to system restore and it worked. I didn't have any work worth saving. I did learn that I had to temporarily disable my AVG virus program to do a system restore Again thanks, very helpful.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You may wish to consider installing Avast rather then having AVG as your anti virus software Daddy as it is the better program.

http://download.cnet...4-10019223.html

If you do decide to go with Avast make sure that AVG is removed before installing Avast.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I concur with Wolfey as AVG has lost it`s appeal to many users including myself :)

You are welcome BTW daddyhc :thumbsup: