Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my graphics card on its way out ?

• Please log in to reply

Adz8851

Adz8851

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, i would like to start by saying thanks if anyone can give me any help or advice since this has been going on for well over a two months. What happens is when i am gaming the games will randomly freeze, ( Some times they will freeze and then freeze again 30 seconds later, other times it wont happen for 20 - 30mins. it will normally freeze for about 30 seconds and then i get a message saying "your display drivers have stopped working and have recovered". its got to the point where i have started using my integrated graphics card so i can at least just play without worries. i have had look all over the internet and i can't seem to find a fix for my issue. I do not get any crashes when my PC is idle or when i am doing general stuff on my computer; only when gaming. i have even tried lowering my graphics card specs below stock to see if that will help in any way.

I think it might be a heating issue since when i first boot up my pc ( after it has been of long enuf for it to cool ) i do not crash, but then after an hour or two of gaming it starts to happen. I allso tried a software called " Video memory stress test" to see if that will give me any errors but it douse not appear to.

Posted Image

Here is my speed fan results for idle if that will help, i will later add a gaming one ( just in case it crashes "don't want to lose all this")

Posted Image

if you need anymore information on my specs, i would be more than happy to answer any questions

PS. i forgot to say what graphics card i had, i have a Hd Radeon 7970 hence the reason i want to know it is broken before i just replace it for no reason.

And here is a screenshot of speed fan 2 seconds after a crash.

Posted Image

Thanks
Adam.

Edited by Adz8851, 07 July 2013 - 03:58 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Adz8851

Overheating is a common occurrence when gaming due to the extra demand being placed on your hardware, do some gaming for around 5 minutes, run HWMonitor and provide a screenshot for us http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html this will also allow us to check the low +12V rail reading that your PSU is showing in Speedfan, increasing the speed of fans 2 and 3 if you can will help with cooling.

Can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the PSU, run Speccy and post the url for us also please http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

It is getting late here in the UK so I will be going offline shortly but will check back asap in the morning.

Adz8851

Adz8851

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi phillpower2 Thanks for the reply :)

Here is a screenshot of my HWMonitor how ever i did not read " increase the speed of fans 2 and 3 " because i to am from the Uk and very sleepy lol. i will add this image for now for you to see however keep in mind i did noy increase the speed for the fans,

This screenshot was taken 5 seconds after a crash by the way.

Posted Image

and here is my Speccy link : Speccy

and my PSU is corsair ax750

i just want to say thanks for the help, its good to know you are helping people out the goodness of your heart, really appreciate it!.

Edited by Adz8851, 07 July 2013 - 04:33 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Adz8851 - thanks for the update :thumbsup:

No worries about the fan speed, do you use MSI afterburner http://event.msi.com...er/download.htm

The one constant of the test results is the +12V rail on the PSU being low, can I ask for you to check the readings in the BIOS for us, no need for a screenshot please just let us know in your update what the readings are, see table below for what the readings should be;

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Adz8851

Adz8851

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi phillpower2, thanks for the reply, sorry it took so long, work. I use msi afterburner just to check my general health of my pc, and iv currently used it to lower my graphics card below stock because i thought that might of been an issue (has been reset to factory again ). also i know you said there is no need for a screen shot but i took two anyhow lol, one is the one you wanted i think, and the other is some setting for power i am assuming, i do not spend a lot of time in my bios

Posted Image

and another image of some voltage, have a feeling it has nothing to do with it but still lol.

Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Adz8851

Thanks for the update and apologies for the delay getting back to you :(

All looks well in the BIOS but please see my canned text below;

NB: BIOS voltage readings.
The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Just ensuring that you are aware of the above more than anything else and suggest that we look at trying to improve the temps inside your case if only to try and rule it out as the cause first**, would it be possible and above all safe for you to remove the side of the case and direct a desktop fan into the inside of the case to see if the issue happens when you do some gaming.

** Certain information in your OP suggests that it may not be an overheating issue;

"your display drivers have stopped working and have recovered".

Adz8851

Adz8851

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi phillpower2,

So i done what you asked and opened the side of the case and used a big house fan "safely" to try to cool the inside, i ran a game for about and hour to an hour and half and i did not get one crash. ( would of done it longer but it makes alot! of noise and my family are just getting into bed so i dident want to disturb them. so i had a look at my three fans ( what direction they was blowing air or pulling ) and i noticed two of my fans was pulling hot air out and only the one on the front was blowing air in, so iv swapped my top fan to all so blow air down into the case.

if this dousent fix the problem then i will go out and buy another two fans to add. however i was just wondering if you knew, how many fans can i run on my motherboard, since i can only see one more slot for a possible fan placement on the board. my mother board is a msi z77a-gd55 / z75a-gd55 so you dont have to look around on my specs again. and is there any item i can buy to say split an output so i can connect two fans to one slot for example.

Thanks again!
Adam.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Adam

For the most effective cooling in addition to the CPU and GPU cooling fans where possible you should have an induction fan at the front of the case to draw in cool and clean air + an exhaust fan at the rear of the case to expel the warm/hot air from inside the case and away from your hardware.

Good internal cable management is also important as this also allows the air to be circulated more efficiently.

For adding additional cooling fans when no more fan headers on the MB are available you can use ones that are fed directly from the PSU, an example http://www.ebuyer.co...ction-pfs09bk4p

Adz8851

Adz8851

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK thanks, that it currently how my fans are set up, and for cable management i think its fine since 80% of the cables are hid behind the motherboard.

image of inside the case ( sorry for bad picture bad phone camera )
Posted Image

bit better picture of wire management ( sorry for bad picture bad phone camera )
Posted Image

i will buy one of them fans asap and see how it goes. if the problem douse not get solved by adding more cooling i will repost on this topic if that is ok ?

and thanks alot for all the help!. lets hope the problem is fixed so i can stop bugging you lol..

Thanks
Adam

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update Adz8851 :thumbsup:

Nice tidy case and no problems about coming back to this topic if you need to - it is always a pleasure to help those in need of assistance, pleasant people like yourself make it more rewarding though :)