Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP Lost IP Address of router

• Please log in to reply

Themkman

Themkman

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
hello I am having an issue with my home network, I live in a 3 story house and my wireless does not work upstairs, so i added a second router as a switch to enable me to Ethernet into it via some powerline adapters, now when it was set up i had to change the upstairs routers ip address as it was the same as the one downstairs so it had a conflict, I had a friend over helping me set it up as we had a few technical issues, all my equipment gets its ip from the router downstairs. now i have run out of Ethernet ports on the router upstairs so wanted to add my laptop wireless, but i cant remember the password so i need to be able to find my router IP so i can connect and recover my password

any help will be massively appreciated

thank you

Paul

Edited by Themkman, 10 July 2013 - 11:20 AM.

Advertisements

AquamanD

AquamanD

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
arp -a This will give you a list of IP addresses that your computer knows about. I would do this from a computer connected to the network already.
Or you could download angry ip scanner and scan your network.

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
i tried that but im getting no where, it game me an ip address of 192.168.1.255 but thats the routers output port other than that all the other ip addresses where for the equipment plugged in, the router upstairs is just a pass through point and all the equipment gets its ip addresses from the router downstairs

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hiya
Why not just reset the router so you can use the default password on the back of it and then reset it up?

AquamanD

AquamanD

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Agree with o0o. Best option is going to be resetting and re-configuring the router.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
192.168.1.255 is a broadcast address and not much use.

Go downstairs, find a Windows computer that is connected to the wireless router (or disconnect something else and plug your laptop into the router). Open a command window (Start, All Programs, Accessories, Vista/Win 7=> right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue, XP => left click on Command Prompt). Type with an Enter after each line:

ipconfig

The default gateway is the IP address of the router. If you haven't changed the default password to the router then either look it up on the router maker's website or look at http://www.routerpasswords.com/. That should allow you to get in and read off the wireless encryption password which I assume is what you are looking for. If you have lost the access password for the router then the only thing to do is reset it.

Ron