Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Usual log in screen gone..

• Please log in to reply

Broken__x

Broken__x

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
When i log in the usual screen has gone it takes to to a black screen with a xp box asking for user name and password is there a way i can swich back to the normal login screen?

Thanks Kaysie

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
1. Click on the Start button, click on Control Panel, and then double click on User Accounts.

2. Click on Change The Way Users Log On or Off.

3. Check the box next to Use the Welcome screen.

4. Click Apply Options.

Broken__x

Broken__x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
The box was already checked. Ive had some recent problems with add/mailware could anything been caused because of this? i posted it about it with my log in the mailware forum but they said to come here. could any files of been deleated accidentaly or somthing?

Broken__x

Broken__x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey, im still having problems with this is there anyway i can change it back..?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ahh, you were infected before.....useful info

At what point did this black screen with logon box occur? After deleting the infected winnet.dll or before?

Broken__x

Broken__x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
its happened after i deleted it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, that makes sense. Now, it looked like you tried to to reinstall it by downloading a new one, but at one point you ran into "file in use" message, then dropped into safe mode...it's unclear what happened next.

Were you unable to replace it? Someone asked if you could/would reinstall service pack 2...did you? How? Windows update?

If you were able to place it, I want you to try the following

start > run, type
regsvr32 c:\windows\wininet.dll
<enter>

what message do you receive? If successful, reboot. Does the login return?

Also answer the above questions

Broken__x

Broken__x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
i didnt update, there was no need in the end, i was able to replace the infected wininet.dll

when folowing the instructions i get this message

loadlibrary("c:\windows\wininet.dll") failed - the specified module could not be found.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
whoosp sorry, meant

start > run, type
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll
<enter>

Broken__x

Broken__x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
that comes up with

c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.

This file can not be registered.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, that means your DLL is the wrong DLL for this OS....not sure which one you need exactly, but I think you would probably be better off installing sp2 after all, as it will update this file and supporting files to the latest and then register them correctly.

arguably, you should do it anyway due to the enhanced features (unless you have a specific reason for not doing it, such as you run a program that is not supported by sp2)

You could either do it the windows update method, or download the network install and run that (for example, if you have a slow connection on this machine, go somewhere with a fast connection and get it)

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Broken__x

Broken__x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
will updating loose other files i have on my computer?

Broken__x

Broken__x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
i have been talknig to a friend and they asked me about a file called winlogin i dont seen to have that file, coudl that be anything to do with it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

will updating loose other files i have on my computer?

View Post

no

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

i have been talknig to a friend and they asked me about a file called winlogin i dont seen to have that file, coudl that be anything to do with it?

View Post

you have it...I saw it in your hijack log....it's called winlogon, not login

You would not even be getting the abnormal winlogon without it. I am fairly convinced your issue is the wrong wininet.dll....if you do not want to install service pack 2, we can try and figure out what version you should have.

look in c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll

right click the file, choose properties, choose VERSION...tell me what you can about it. (should be some info in the box below)