Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Wireless Internet or Cable internet

• Please log in to reply

pbj888

pbj888

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Not sure if the cause is due to malware but I tried everything else to check if it was the connection and it doesn't seem to be. A wireless signal is shown on devices (laptop, ipad, iphone) show connectivity but internet doesn't work. Now the internet on the laptop does not work as well. I even connected the ethernet cable directly to the laptop and its not working. I have tried to reboot the modem, restarted the router.

Please help? FYI, since there is no internet connectivity at home, I have to put any programs on a flash drive and then run them on the whole computer.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Expect this should really be over in Networking but let's see what we can do. Would help if I knew what router you had and what version of Windows we are working on.

From the sound of it your router is not connecting to the cable company's Internet. To test this, open a Command Prompt:

Start, All Programs, Accessories, (Vista or Win 7 =>right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, XP => left click on Command Prompt, (Continue or OK) Type with an Enter after each line:

ipconfig

(This will give you a little info on your connection if any. We are looking for the default gateway address. Normally with most routers this will be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Note the address, I'm going to assume it is 192.168.0.1 in the next command but change the command to match your default gateway.)

ping 192.168.0.1

(If you have connectivity to the router then you will get 4 replies. Do you? If that works then try: )

tracert -d 8.8.8.8

You should see a list of cryptic looking info. This is from my PC:

Tracing route to 8.8.8.8 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 6 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.11.1
2 16 ms 15 ms 15 ms 75.121.236.1
3 15 ms 14 ms 14 ms 208.110.248.149
4 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms 206.51.71.70
5 14 ms 15 ms 14 ms 209.85.249.32
6 17 ms 16 ms 16 ms 66.249.94.199
7 24 ms 23 ms 24 ms 216.239.46.208
8 21 ms 22 ms 22 ms 216.239.48.167
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 23 ms 23 ms 22 ms 8.8.8.8

Trace complete.

The 1 line should show your default gateway. The 2 line will show the connection to your Cable Modem (assuming you have a separate router and cable modem - otherwise see the next line). The 3 line is the link into the cable company's network. If you see nothing but stars from line 3 on then the link to the cable company is down. If line 3 is all stars then you need to call your cable company and ask them to check your modem. They should be able to do that remotely. If line 2 is all stars then you need to check the cable between your cable modem and router, then if that's good log on to the router and check its connectivity. Tell me what router you have and I can tell you how to do that. Could be a bad router or a bad cable modem. Wouldn't hurt to call the cable company and let them see what they can tell you.

If this is a new installation of the router: Cable companies are notorious for only allowing one MAC so if you had a PC connected to the cable and it was working and you tried to connect up a router in its place it probably won't work. You can have the router use the same MAC as the original PC or you can call the cable company and ask them to reset your circuit.

Ron

pbj888

pbj888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Sorry for the lack of info. I didn't have it on hand.
The router is Linksys wireless-N broadband router
Model: WRT160N V3

I have a seperate cable modem by Arris and the laptop is running XP.

When I follow the instructions and type msconfig in command prompt, it is saying that it is not recognized as an internal or external command operable by program or batch file.

If there is something I am missing, please advise. Pardon any mistakes, I'm on an iPhone now.

pbj888

pbj888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Also, this is not a new I installation of anything, it just stopped working. It happened instantly, so I thought it could be some malware.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I gave you the wrong command. Try:

ipconfig

If you bypass the router and connect the PC directly to the cable modem can it connect?

IF so follow the procedure here: http://kb.linksys.co...1aaecf_3686.xml

pbj888

pbj888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Things are working, tried resetting router again and again and it worked! Thanks anyway!