Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have no idea if my PSU is adequate for this!

• Please log in to reply

Hossein_Turner

Hossein_Turner

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I hope somebody here can quickly help me here. Very much appreciate your time!

I have bought an ASUS GTX 560 Ti graphics card but I am now hesitant to install it into my system because I don't know if my PSU will be able to take it.

My PSU is an Antec SG-850 and I've looked on the internet and they say that the +12v rating is important. Unfortunately, I've found conflicting information as to how to calculate what is needed. The manual of my GPU is rather vague but it says that my new graphics card needs "a minimum 550W system power supply with 12V current rating of 38A).

Do I have enough amperage on my PSU? My mobo is a P5K SE and has a Q6600 processor on it and nothing special hardware-wise, so no extra peripherals in addition to the CPU except for the usual x1 CD-drive and x1 HDD.

Many thanks.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The SG-850 is capable of a staggering 65A combined on the 12V rails, so you should have no problem running your ASUS GTX 560 Ti.

antec psu.jpg

Hossein_Turner

Hossein_Turner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks! I'll give it a try.