Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build wont boot through HDMI only VGA

• Please log in to reply

huntereclipse

huntereclipse

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently built a new gaming computer and for whatever reason, it won't boot through HDMI. On multiple monitors it says "change device resolution" the only problem with that is I have tried every resolution. Including ones I know work normally. When it boots, it has to be VGA, once on I can switch it to HDMI. That is a total pain. I have looked high and low on the interwebs, and can't find anything. Please help. All answers or constructive responses welcome.

FX-8350
Radeon 7770
Gigabyte-990FXA-UD3

Advertisements

huntereclipse

huntereclipse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
bump

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Please allow up to 3 days for technicians to reply. This will ensure everyone gets responded to in an organized manor.

The following is just some steps you can try and is in no way guaranteed to work. Everything is done at your own risk.

Try removing the VGA and booting with just the HDMI plugged in.

Aside from that above, you can try this alternative. Is the system running off the motherboard's/cpu chipset's integrated graphics or is it running on the graphics card? To test this, right click on Computer > Click Properties > Click Hardware > Click Device Manager > Click the arrow next to Display Adapters. Now, find the chipset for the on board graphics/CPU integrated graphics and right click it and click disable, making sure that only your graphics card is set as default and not the motherboard's/CPU's integrated graphics. If the graphics card is the only listing, then I do not know what to tell you and will gladly bow out while the experts handle it.

I had my HDMI plugged into my graphics card but found out that for a very long time, I was playing through the CPU's integrated graphics because it was set to default. My motherboard has a HDMI slot as well and I mistakenly plugged it into the motherboard, on a seperate occasion, instead of the card, and it caused a messed up display until I figured it out. I actually uninstalled the integrated graphics from my system.

huntereclipse

huntereclipse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I apologize. I was trying to get this problem solved by tonight. The motherboard does not have any integrated graphics. I am running it off the Graphics Cards HDMI. It is the weirdest thing. I have tried all sorts of things and to no avail. It has to be something I overlooked. Sigh. I love/hate computers.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
The only other thing I can really suggest outside of waiting for a tech is to go to your display in your control panel and try detecting/identifying the monitor and playing around with that there. If you click detect, option 1 below will have more in the drop down and should say something like "Available display output on: Radeon 7770" When you click that, option 3 changes and there should be an option to pick a different connection type. Not to be pushy, did you try what I suggested in post #3? Even if you don't have integrated graphics, something could be funky in the device manager > display adapters.

The techs here are great! I am going off past experiences and what worked for me.

Edited by heartgrave, 21 July 2013 - 06:57 PM.