Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Delta Tool Bar and OTL stuck on Scanning FireFox Settings

• Please log in to reply

BL00PER

BL00PER

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Hey everyone last night my moms computer got hit with a infection and since I am not certified to help with the clean up I figure I post here for help and guidance. I do have a problem though with the OTL being stuck on scanning for firefox and afterwards becoming unresponsive. Is there a fix for this so I can post the OTL log? Thanks in advance!

BL00PER

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Only thing that seems to work is to uninstall Firefox but for Delta all we need is Hijackthis.exe

Download it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/ and Save it. If running Vista or Win 7 you need to right click on it and Run As Admin. Choose the second option, Do a System Scan only. When the scan finishes look for an O20 entry that references BrowserDefender.

This is one I just worked:

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: (c:\progra~3\browse~1\261339~1.144\{c16c1~1\browse~1.dll) - c:\ProgramData\BrowserDefender\2.6.1339.144\{c16c1ccb-7046-4e5c-a2f3-533ad2fec8e8}\BrowserDefender.dll ()

Check it and any other obvious Delta or bProtector references up in O2 and O3 and then Fix Checked. Reboot and run Hijackthis again and verify that it didn't come back.

You should be able to change the Search engine now and delete any references to Delta or bDefender.

Download the adwCleaner
Pause your anti-virus
  • Run the Tool
    Windows Vista and Windows 7 users:
    Right click in the adwCleaner.exe and select the DELETE option
  • Select the Delete button.
  • When the scan completes, it will open a notepad windows.
  • Please, copy the content of this file in your next reply.

Run the ESET online scan:

Use IE and go to http://eset.com/onlinescan and click on ESET online Scanner. Accept the terms then press Start (If you get a warning from your browser tell it you want to run it).

# Check Scan Archives
# Push the Start button.
# ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
# When the scan completes, push LIST OF THREATS FOUND
# Push EXPORT TO TEXT FILE , and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
# Push the BACK button.
# Push Finish
# Once the scan is completed, you may close the window.
# Use Notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
# Copy and paste that log as a reply.

If still having trouble, post the Hijackthis log (first option is to Scan and Log).