Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't recognize my external hdd

• Please log in to reply

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Success!

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Success!

Does the external HDD now works?

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
No, it still doesn't work. Success in getting that log posted properly. :P

All I can tell is that it identified the fact that my version of Windows is not genuine, and restored those files... causing me to have to run my WGA remover again. :P

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

No, it still doesn't work. Success in getting that log posted properly. :P

All I can tell is that it identified the fact that my version of Windows is not genuine, and restored those files... causing me to have to run my WGA remover again. :P

From the TOU site we can longer continue to help you because you have and Illegal copy of Windows.

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
How did I know that would be the case *rolls eyes*

Is that why you made me do that scan in the first place? Just so you could tell me you wouldn't be helping me any further? Thanks for that.

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
And I don't know what you mean by "TOU site" ???

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Raven TOU is the Terms Of Use you agreed to when you joined the forum. From what I see the hd is now recognized so that was the original issue with the system correct?
The external could be a connection issue or a hardware issue so as long as that is all we deal with then there is not a problem. We cannot assist you with any Windows issue since your windows is not genuine by your own admission.
I'm sure Sleepydude will see this post and I also will advise him to only work on the hardware side. If there is a problem with this direction of assistance you are more then welcome to talk to a Global Mod or a Admin.

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Nothing is a shock to me, I'm just frustrated. The external drive still isn't showing up anywhere, but I have thought of a work-around that involves transferring the files I want to backup to my secondary internal drive, buying a new computer entirely (it's time, my cpu and video card just don't get the job done with the games I want to play anymore) with a LEGIT copy of Windows, and transfer the files back after a complete system overhaul. I'm sure that running a fresh, legit copy of Windows will eradicate any of these ridiculous driver issues or whatever they are that have been plaguing me.

Thanks for your help as always and sorry if I was less than polite. It wasn't meant to be personal! Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sure with the legal copy and all drivers up to date your external problem will resolve itself. Are you thinking of a brand name or a custom build?

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I'm thinking of a custom build. I wouldn't call myself an expert at putting together rigs, but I have done it in the past, do all my own upgrades, and I do enjoy it. I also find that this way, I get the specific components that I really want, not the ones the retailer is trying to get off their shelves.

I am going to start a new thread in the hardware/system building forum, so that this one may be closed and archived. I'll post the specifications of what I have and what I'm looking to get in that new thread.

Thanks and apologies again.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problems and we have some great system building techs and members who can direct you to a great build. Thanks for being so understanding and maybe I'll pop in your build topic. Good luck :thumbsup:

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

How did I know that would be the case *rolls eyes*

Is that why you made me do that scan in the first place? Just so you could tell me you wouldn't be helping me any further? Thanks for that.

No sfc is the tool used to fix many windows problems because it detects corrupted or missing critical Windows files and try to fix them.
After checking the log I noticed several critical files been replaced and I was thinking the computer could be infected with virus at the time I didn't think of file tempering to avoid windows activation.

@Rshaffer61: If I understand the problem correctly the external hdd works fine on the second installation of windows (2nd HDD), but doesn't work on the Windows installation the user have on the 1st HDD. All in the same hardware so it must be a windows problem.

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I apologize again, SleepDude, and if there is indeed a virus or trojan in my system, that's all the more reason I look forward to a complete upgrade, including a new retail copy of either Windows 7 or 8 64-bit.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I apologize again, SleepDude, and if there is indeed a virus or trojan in my system, that's all the more reason I look forward to a complete upgrade, including a new retail copy of either Windows 7 or 8 64-bit.

Good. :thumbsup: