Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver Issues on fresh reinstall

• Please log in to reply

Maleboe

Maleboe

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Looking to install fresh reinstall of Windows 8 on a Lenovo Thinkcentre A70z All-In-One
500 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, Broadcom BCM43225 b/g/n wireless card, Intel G41 Chipset

Ran into some difficties with driver incompatiblity issues and don't know if my computer which really isn't that old. I know they age out fast. Do you think that with the specs on that computer that I properly run Windows 8 without running into driver issues?

Thanks in advance as always.

Josh

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Josh

Can you tell us what the actual issues are that you are having.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Has someone had the back off this machine Maleboe to replace the hard drive as apparently it's shipped with a 300GB drive and the machine is 3 years old as well?

http://www.expertrev...hinkcentre-a70z

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
They were sold with both the 300 GB and 500 GB variety. Okay and to the actual driver issues. Well I can't find a compatible driver for the video card in the computer. I cannot find a compatible driver for the wireless card in the computer. Currently I am running Windows 8 on a partition of 48 GB. I had a weird circumstance in which I was trying Windows 8 on a small partition and had Windows 7 as my main partition and basically got stuck with Windows 8 because the Windows 7 partition completely failed. I formatted the Windows 7 partition and everything has been fine for a while but now I need more space for Windows 8 if I am going to choose that as my OS. I don't know if I am going to stay with it because the complications that came with installing Windows 8 the first time. I truly like Windows 8 and want to stick with that as main OS and only OS.

Thanks always in advance

Josh

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Have you tried the Windows 7 drivers as they are often compatible.
When you reinstalled the drivers did you install the chipset drivers first as not doing so can cause problems when installing other drivers.

Run DriverMax and see what is suggested http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/
Please note that you can only install two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the "install AVG toolbar" box.

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I tried them initially and had to do some messing around but finally got Windows 8 working the first time around. Just when I install this fresh install I want to go in a little more prepared. I had issues with the Broadcom wireless driver and it never let me install the actual Broadcom software instead Windows 8 installed it's own driver and then every time I uninstalled it, It reinstalled. I tried to manually update it and it kept saying that it was the most up to date and clearly it wasn't. So I ended up finding some solution on the web about adjusting my settings because everyone is having this issue that I am having with internet speed problems. 1mb download is what I was clocked at. So I had to adjust some setting in my tcip settings I think but this was an issue all relating to the fact that I couldn't install the dang driver. So you see my hesitation in my fresh install and trying to get my ducks in a row before I redo it. If I cannot fix that problem I do not feel like hunting down the answers again to fix a speed issue just so I can use Windows 8. I liked Windows 7 it ran okay. Windows 8 on my computer runs better but if I can't resolve certain things I don't want to go down that road again. As always Thanks in advance for any help you provide.

Josh

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Just to clarify, you are not presently having any issues but you would like to do a fresh install and you are concerned that you will get a repeat of the problems that you had when you initially installed Windows 8, is this correct.

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
That would be correct sort of. I am going to be doing a re install and the issues that crept up when I installed It I never noticed until I was forced to use it full time because of a corrupt Windows 7 OS. I was dual booting with Windows 7 as main with like for 450 GB partition and Windows 8 on another partition to test it out and it was much smaller. 40 GB or there about. Windows 7 got screwy and I formatted that partition and I have been running that Windows 8 on that 40 GB partition for a while now installing programs on the seperate partition but it has outgrown its partition so I need to a. either combine all partitions into one and install Windows 8 or b. combine all and install windows 7. I'm sorry if my title was misleading. I still need the help. Again any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Josh

Edited by Maleboe, 28 July 2013 - 01:52 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update Maleboe I won`t go off on a tangent now :thumbsup:

You can use Macrium reflect (free) to make an image of your present OS http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx and Easeus AIO (also free) for managing your partitions http://www.partition...om/download.htm

Please take the time to read and understand the instructions provided by both software providers before you begin.

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Re install went good with a little hickup with the driver for the wifi but fixed with driver max. Thank God for that program. Where was it when I needed it last time? So here's what I did since you last heard from me. I took the partition manager which I already had that you recommended and formatted the second partition so that I could install Windows 8 on it. I put Windows 8 on a Flash Drive which was a job itself but I eventually figured it all out. Installed it straight from flash drive. Up and running. No driver issues now that I fixed the Broadcom problem that I was having on my initial install. Thank you all so so much for you help. May God's Blessing be with you.

Josh

Edited by Maleboe, 30 July 2013 - 09:51 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
We are pleased to hear that all is well and thank you for the follow up Maleboe :thumbsup:

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
One minor issue has formed though. I need to install the graphics driver and it's not showing up on Driver Max. As always, thanks in advance.

Josh

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Enter all required details here Maleboe.

http://support.lenov...s/default.page#

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If no joy at the link that Wolfey has suggested try the Intel driver identifier http://www.driverman...CFZQZtAodmUEAhg

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Got it to work. Thanks a bunch. Intel's website. Turn's out I was installing the older driver not the newest one for Windows 7. Thank you for all your help.

Josh