Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer is randomly freezing occasionally

• Please log in to reply

Shadowmoore

Shadowmoore

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I have to admit I'm quite the beginner towards help online sites. Sadly, my computer's warranty recently ran out, and it seems like my computer was waiting to give me problems right afterwards. I'm not sure if the problem is a virus nobody's found before, or if it's a hardware problem, but my computer will randomly begin to freeze every now and then (mainly when on the desktop or surfing the web. For some reason, it's never done it during a game yet). Sometimes, it corrects itself after around 2-20 seconds, and other times I have to do a hard turn-off of my computer by holding the power switch. Sometimes, the freeze is immediate, and other times I still can move my mouse cursor around, but can't click anything or use ctrl+alt+delete or alt F4. If I do click anything, after a few clicks the computer will freeze completely. I reinstalled my computer's operating system not long after the problems began, and it did not seem to affect the freezes, but I do not believe I did a perfect factory setting restore due to the fact that afterwards, some links on firefox were still a different color, as though I had already clicked the links despite the fact that my computer had just been restored.

Also, for some reason, after the hard shut-off of the computer, my computer's clock will be set back an hour about half of the time I've done the hard restarts - quite a seemingly random occurrence.

I run Windows 7, and an Asus g75V. I know that I'm supposed to give some additional information, but I'm not quite sure what information in particular you would care to help me with.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Shadowmoore

Is the notebook at the attached link the same model as yours http://www.notebookc...ok.73636.0.html

I'm not sure if the problem is a virus nobody's found before

Only the malware staff on those forums can assist with anything malware related so can you please explain what you mean by the above as in have you previously requested help on another forum where malware checks have been carried out.

Shadowmoore

Shadowmoore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, that is the same model as my notebook. And thank you. I have previously requested help on another forum where I was guided from "Windows 7" to the anti-virus/malware forum. Here are the two links, respectively:
http://www.bleepingc...g-occasionally/
http://www.bleepingc...ally/?p=3117518

Additionally, my computer's start-up time has increased quite a bit recently, resulting in it taking about 20 or so seconds for it to go to the desktop after I put in my password upon start-up.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Shadowmoore

It is not a good idea to try and follow the guidance of more than one forum at the same time, you may receive conflicting advice that could possibly result in your computer being rendered completely inoperable, something that you would be even less happy with I`m sure, please decide on which forum you wish to continue and then conclude your topic on the other.

Please keep in mind that as you are receiving malware help on the other forum if you do return here you will need to get the all clear from the GTG malware experts before we can help you with this topic, whatever you decide good luck with it and we will be here if you do need to return to this topic after being confirmed as malware free.