Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP not waking up?

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Greetings,

My father is having problems with his XP machine. He turns his screen off at night (don't ask me why) and leaves the computer on. When it has not been used for several hours (overnight usually), it is unresponsive. The mouse nor keyboard work. Any ideas?

Joe

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

The computer is a laptop or desktop?
What happens if you press only one time the power button after the machines becomes unresponsive?

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
The computer is a desktop, a Dell Inspiron 530.

In reference to buttons, once frozen(?), all you can do is hold (not push, hold the on/off button down for about 10 seconds) and the computer will power off. Then on reboot, everything is fine. Other than the screen not scrolling; but that may be another problem.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

If the machine have some led's is any of then blinking after the machines becomes unresponsive?
In some machines after some time they can enter suspension mode and when this happens some machines awake if you press the power button only one time like you do when power on the machine.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Sorry for the delay. I have been away from the computer and not able to try suggestion. I will try it and post back. It may be posted Mon or Tues. Computer has to sit idle for an extended period.

Joe

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Check Power Options in Control Panel. Disable sleep and hibernate. Allow the hard drive to be turned off after 30 minutes or so.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Do not know if these are new symptoms or not. Started getting an error message stating Internet Explorer was using too much power and had to reboot. Found an add-on of Web Cake 3.0. Found instructions to remove and did so. Will have dad check power options.

Joe

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Do not know if these are new symptoms or not. Started getting an error message stating Internet Explorer was using too much power and had to reboot. Found an add-on of Web Cake 3.0. Found instructions to remove and did so. Will have dad check power options.

Joe

The machine can be infected you should start a new thread on the Malware Removal section of the forum to get specific help on Malware removing.
Before you post please read Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide starting from step 2.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
After following advice, I posted in the malware forum in which I received excellent walk-thru's in malware removal. That said, after over a week of a perfectly running computer, I consider the case resolved and closed.

Thank you to all who helped.

joe

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Thank you for informing us of the result. :thumbsup: