Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Program called "Take Ownership" Problem

• Please log in to reply

SallyMae

SallyMae

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
My old laptop motherboard fritzed because the CMOS battery tab broke off and allowed the battery to slip into the case and skitter around the motherboard. So, I got a new laptop and took the old drive out of the old laptop and converted it to an external. I downloaded this program called "Take Ownership" so I could take ownership of all the old files on the old hard drive and copy what I wanted to the new laptop. Then I proceeded to use the same program to delete the old files from the old hard drive. It was working beautifully and now all of a sudden it's coming up saying I need permission from "MyComputerName/MyUserName" (which is administrator). Oddly enough, this is exactly what I am logged in under. Is anyone familiar with this program? Do I need to worry that my administrator account has been hijacked and for some reason, although I think I am logging on as such, I actually am not? I've double checked everything in the Control Panel under "users" just to make sure and it looks in order. I shut down and rebooted to see if that was the problem. No dice. Any idea what might be going on? Thanks,as always, in advance.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Windows can be a little tricky with the file permissions....
My suggestion is to backup all the stuff you need to the new computer and format the external disk this way you will get a fresh start and avoid to fight with permissions.

SallyMae

SallyMae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
OK. I did that. Thank you. Now, I am having another problem. I am logged on as administrator but from my laptop hard drive I am trying to install a program and it says I am not administrator when I am. It does not give me the option to "run as administrator". Why does my computer think I am not administrator?

Edited by SallyMae, 30 July 2013 - 09:02 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

OK. I did that. Thank you. Now, I am having another problem. I am logged on as administrator but from my laptop hard drive I am trying to install a program and it says I am not administrator when I am. It does not give me the option to "run as administrator". Why does my computer think I am not administrator?

Hi,

No all the installers are designed to work correctly with UAC, try to right click the installation file and choose Run as Administrator see if it works that way.

SallyMae

SallyMae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Thanks.