Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serial ATA, SATA-2 error on start up

• Please log in to reply

hawkzilla

hawkzilla

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Dell Desktop running Windows XP

I hit f-2 for setup, went to drives> drive 1> turned SATA-2 off> saved> exited setup. Went back to boot screen, bar filled up, screen went black and back to boot screen. It is now in a perpetual loop. Boot screen, bar fills up, boot screen, over and over. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

have tried booting up in safe mode, debugging mode, last known good configuration, rebooting, and start normally. everything just returns to the boot loop.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
You're probably blue screening with an 07b. Do like you've been doing to get to safe mode but pick disable automatic restart on system failure.

Posted Image

What's the blue screen say?
What installation disk do you have?
What's the series and model number of your dell. Desktop? Laptop?

Edited by skifxr, 01 August 2013 - 02:11 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Tried going back into the bios and turning it back on?

hawkzilla

hawkzilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
turning it back on makes it give the error message again. Drive 1 not found: serial ATA, SATA-2. Strike F-1 or F-2 and so on

hawkzilla

hawkzilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It is a Dell 4700 series, not sure of the model #, and I'm not seeing ny blue screen. Also it is not the factory hard drive, it did have to be replaced at some point.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What was the reason for turning it off if I may ask?

hawkzilla

hawkzilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was getting the "Drive 1 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-2" error. This system never had a second hard drive so I am not sure why it started giving the error. I left the system with family for 6 months. Then it sat unused for about a year. I tried to start it about a year and a half ago and got the error for the first time. Stuck it in closet till now cause I need some stuff of it. Hard drive is about 5 years old. Not sure if age or lack of use could be a factor.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

I'm not seeing ny blue screen.

You have to if you followed my procedure. Try it again.

hawkzilla

hawkzilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok, i put everything as it was, with sata drive 1 on. in that state i couldnt get into safe mode. i turned it off again went into safe mode, selected diasable automatic restart on system failure. system went back to boot screen, the bar filled up screen went black and it went right back to boot screen, on a loop.

not that you need the pics but this is what i am seeing. No blue screen. the screen with dell and the load bar is the one that it keeps coming back to.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg

Edited by hawkzilla, 01 August 2013 - 03:15 PM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Looks like a dead hard drive to me mate.

hawkzilla

hawkzilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks, yeah I'm sure I knew that was just hoping against it