Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading PC parts without starting windows from fresh

• Please log in to reply

Imthechosenone

Imthechosenone

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello everyone!

I'm going to build a PC for Flight sim (because I want to be a pilot xD), I'm buying a new, CPU, GPU, Motherbaord, RAM, PSU, Heatsink and a case. everything else I need will be tooken out of my current PC. I have a load of Flight Sim addons and program's on my PC, but I don't want to start windows from fresh, I heard uninstalling the old drivers, install the new parts and install the new drivers would work and everything would be the same as before the upgrade but with awesome new PC parts xD. Does the method work though? I haven't had a clear answer on wether it works or not.

Thanks Sam Venables or the chosen one xD

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Is your operating system OEM or Retail Sam?

Imthechosenone

Imthechosenone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Is your operating system OEM or Retail Sam?

Retail, it's what came with my computer which is windows 7

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
May I ask what make of machine this is as it sounds like an OEM version if it came with the machine.

Does your disk look similar to this?

Posted Image

Imthechosenone

Imthechosenone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

May I ask what make of machine this is as it sounds like an OEM version if it came with the machine.

Does your disk look similar to this?

Posted Image

My current PC is made by HP, I'm not sure if it came with a disk like that, but my mate said I can borrow his windows 7 oem disk if I need to.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well you can't use an OEM that has already been installed on any other machine as that is against the Microsoft EULA.

What you will need for a new machine is an unbranded OEM like this as it is cheaper than a Retail version.

Ignore the statement that it is for system builders only because you are the system builder.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Q0PT3I

Imthechosenone

Imthechosenone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, so if I find the disk as shown which came with my HP PC (can't find it now because I'm on holiday), what would I have to do next?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You will have received a disk similar to the one above but with the HP branding on it.

This is an OEM disk from HP and can ONLY be used to reinstall Windows 7 on your original machine.

When HP installed that operating system they will have partially activated it to Microsoft, now should you try to use that disk or your friends disk to install on the new hand built machine when it comes to activation Microsoft will decline it because it has already been activated.

OEM disks are tied to the original machine that they were issued to, end of.

What you will need is the disk that I have indicated in my previous link.

Imthechosenone

Imthechosenone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You will have received a disk similar to the one above but with the HP branding on it.

This is an OEM disk from HP and can ONLY be used to reinstall Windows 7 on your original machine.

When HP installed that operating system they will have partially activated it to Microsoft, now should you try to use that disk or your friends disk to install on the new hand built machine when it comes to activation Microsoft will decline it because it has already been activated.

OEM disks are tied to the original machine that they were issued to, end of.

What you will need is the disk that I have indicated in my previous link.

I found out that I can get the disk from HP for free, I just need to give them my windows serial number and my PC serial code and then they can send me the disk for free :), so I take it there isn't a way of changing my PC components without having to reinstall windows?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
They will send you a disk for free because they are assuming that you may have lost your original for example but you still can't use that to install to a brand new purpose built machine.

You are building a brand new machine so Microsoft will, quite rightly, require you to purchase a new operating system.

It's a bummer mate but there we go.

Imthechosenone

Imthechosenone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Oh, we'll thanks for your help anyways :)

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're welcome mate. :thumbsup:

Any other questions feel free to ask.