Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

zeroing out encryption

• Please log in to reply

OnceMore

OnceMore

• Pip
  • 9 posts
if i use a program like truecrypt or fotfe to encrypt my hard disk, will using crap cleaner's wipe free space feature (which I believe appends zero's) ruin the encryption? i'd ask the truecrypt forums but they won't let me post.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
certain encryption routines run at system level such as microsoft disk encryption. 3rd party encryption such as Axcrypt or Truecrypt all you to wipe free space. However, since the drive is already encrypted, there isn't much gained by doing this.

from truecrypt faq:

Do I have to "wipe" free space and/or files on a TrueCrypt volume?

Remark: to "wipe" = to securely erase; to overwrite sensitive data in order to render them unrecoverable.

If you believe that an adversary will be able to decrypt the volume (for example that he will make you reveal the password), then the answer is yes. Otherwise, it is not necessary, because the volume is entirely encrypted.