Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for search extension for web site

• Please log in to reply

Kry

Kry

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I need my web site to be able to search a directory structure of files. However, these directories are not part of the web site (this is how the legacy system works, I may be able to change that), but (of course) the files would reside on the server. The second feature is the ability to check off categories or sub categories to narrow the search. Imagine, if you will, the directory structure is a library, where each book belongs to only one section. Lets say I was looking for a Thai recipe, I would like to perform one search in both the travel and food sections looking for the words Thai and recipe. The results would list books with both words in either the file's content and/or title.

Know of any products that can do this? Easily?

In my search, I've found Atomz which looks like it can handle the complex search by using collections. But it looks like it can only search the collections by creating an index of all the pages on the web site. It "crawls" from entry point (home page) through all the pages of the web site. Also, it seems like the information is sent to the Atomz web site for processing and back to my site for display. Don't think that this would fly with my company. Anyone use this?

I started out using FrontPage and its extensions, but think the security issues may be a concern for my company. Plus I don't think it can handle the multiple category issue. Or can it? :tazz:

Any other search code out there?

Thanks,
Kry

Advertisements