Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My CD/DVD Drive keeps vanishing

• Please log in to reply

ShimmeringAg

ShimmeringAg

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys,

So I've combed the forums online and I can see others have had similar issues as me but none of the fixes suggested have worked. So My CD/DVD drive will randomly vanish from time to time and nothing can predict when it registers and when it doesn't. The times that it vanishes, it is also missing from the device manager. I've tried reinstalling drivers, clean booting to find the source of the problem in case it was a program/application conflict and Microsoft's FixIt component for DVD/CD drive problems. If anyone could please help me figure out what's happening that would be great.

Occasionally the fixes will return the drive but with minutes sometimes hours it will vanish again. I'd really like a permanent solution.

Running: Sony Vaio Laptop, Windows 7

Best,
Silver

Edited by ShimmeringAg, 04 August 2013 - 08:13 PM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Sounds like a faulty ribbon cable to me but it would be hard to tell without stripping the box down.

ShimmeringAg

ShimmeringAg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Could you explain to me what that means? I'm not familiar with the actual hardware names inside the machine.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Read this link as all laptops work on the same principal.

http://www.insidemyl...o-vpcz1-laptop/

ShimmeringAg

ShimmeringAg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
What can cause this to happen?--there isn't any other alternative to try anymore to retrieve the drive?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I could understand if the drive wasn't reading or writing any disks as that would point to the drive its self but this goes deeper.

The laptop may have been dropped at some point partially dislodging the ribbon for example or the screw holding the drive to the chassis may have dropped out and the drive is not fully seated on the connecting pins.

One way or the other in my opinion this laptop needs opening up to have a look and to do it yourself can be seriously fiddly and if a repair shop does it it can be seriously expensive.

Alternatively you could buy an external optical drive but make sure your bios has the ability to boot from an external cd/dvdrom drive should you need to use it that way.

ShimmeringAg

ShimmeringAg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hm, I see. Alright so I'll see about having someone go in here and check it out. =) Thank you.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're welcome Shimmering. :thumbsup: