Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My laptop fan won't spin

• Please log in to reply

qwerty12345

qwerty12345

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My laptop fan just moves a bit and stops then moves again and stops.
It keeps doing that over and over but won't start spinning.
Sometimes it just suddenly starts working normally but usually not.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Most likely the fan needs to be replaced. Unfortunately low cost has become more important than quality, so things don't last like they should.

webmaster2

webmaster2

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello,
First you have to check if there is any dust or anything is stacked if not then you have change it...

qwerty12345

qwerty12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I took it to "repair shop" (not sure if that is the right word for it) couple weeks earlier and they cleaned it and said it looks fine.
But the thing is that when it tries to spin it looks like it gets stuck on something and immediately stops.
Does that happen when fan needs replacement?
Oh and thanks a lot for replying!

Edited by qwerty12345, 07 August 2013 - 11:22 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The bearing can go, which means that the fan blades are not where they are supposed to be.

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Does your fan have a shroud over it,if so these shrouds/covers are good about making dust balls that get lodged inside the shroud/cover case. The only way i know of to get rid of that and or check the cover is to take the laptop apart so you can access the fan/shroud...

qwerty12345

qwerty12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Does your fan have a shroud over it,if so these shrouds/covers are good about making dust balls that get lodged inside the shroud/cover case. The only way i know of to get rid of that and or check the cover is to take the laptop apart so you can access the fan/shroud...

I don't think there is a shroud but i'm not 100% sure. They said they cleaned it from dust in the computer repair place so i'm guessing they took it apart there.

qwerty12345

qwerty12345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

The bearing can go, which means that the fan blades are not where they are supposed to be.

Now that i think about it i remember that before this happened the fan started to make a bit wierd noise (it still does it if it decides to spin).
So could that be it?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Now that i think about it i remember that before this happened the fan started to make a bit wierd noise (it still does it if it decides to spin).
So could that be it?

The fan should not make a strange noise and if it is, then it could be the bearings. Fans are not that expensive, although the labor to replace them, if you can't do it yourself, can be expensive.

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

So could that be it?

Yep the fan you not be making any noise like that...