Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network cable unplugged and DNS server not responding.

• Please log in to reply

tootooroo

tootooroo

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Let me say that this happened completely unintentionally. I was using my computer fine last night, went downstairs for a couple minutes, came back up stairs and my internet no longer works. Well, let me correct that. My internet still works as Utorrent is still working but my DNS is absolutely shot. When I troubleshooted my DNS I got 'DNS server isn't responding.' When I go into adapter settings from Network and Sharing it says in Local area connection that a Network cable is unplugged, whatever that means.

- Every other computer and device that can go online in my house works. I'm using my laptop right now to post this, right next to my computer.
- I have tried restarting the computer and system restoring it. Doesn't work. Right now my computer is booted in safe mode with networking. Still nothing works.
- I have tried flushing my DNS through ipconfig /flushdns. Nothing.
- I have tried changing my DNS to Google's, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Nothing.

At this point I have no idea what to do. And I've kind of given enough... I spent hours researching this and no one's advise helped. This my last resort :(

Advertisements

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hello
Maybe you got infected by something you where downloading as I noticed you where using UTorrent.
May be run a scan with your AV and Malwarebytes antimalware and also try there rootkit scanner too, you could also post an OTL log in the malware section of GeeksToGo forum Just to rule out you have not downloaded something. That's what I'd try first.

:thumbsup:

tootooroo

tootooroo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I thought maybe it was infected. But I ran avast, ran CCleaner, and I did a system restore. I restored it back to July 30th but I can go all the way back to July 18th if you're confident it is a virus. I was also using my comp in safe mode and my internet was still not working so I'm not quite sure it is a virus. Thnx for the advise.

Edited by tootooroo, 05 August 2013 - 02:34 PM.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Malware help and advice should only be given by our experienced and approved helpers in the malware forum. If you suspect a malware issue please follow the instructions here to post in the malware forum.

tootooroo

tootooroo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thnx. I'll try that.

tootooroo

tootooroo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Alright so I cleared a bunch of stuff on my computer, unintstalled a bunch of files and system restored my computer to July 18th. Didn't work. I'll go onto the malware forum shortly. I have never had this kind of problem before though, Every virus and trojan I have ever gotten I have been able to deal with easily and quickly and none of them have done this, so please excuse me if I seem doubtful that this is a virus. Though I did get the blue screen od death a little while ago on my comp so who knows.

tootooroo

tootooroo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
So nobody's responding to the thread over there so it's not malware. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm going to research some more. Hopefully I find something.

Niyol

Niyol

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
If no one has responded it's not cause you have nothing it's just because they are all busy or you may have not been noticed and it may take a day to get seen to. If you find no one answers after 3 days then post here in the waiting room
http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/
Just post the link to your problem in the malware section and then you'll get seen to. Hopefully your right and you don't have anything.

They will get you sorted there good here like that. :thumbsup:

Hang in there

Edited by Niyol, 06 August 2013 - 02:12 PM.