Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help with Windows 98

• Please log in to reply

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
We were having a thunder & lighting storm. Like always I logged off my computer (the computer turned off after shutting down), pulled all the plugs, unplugged my cable connection and waited for the storm to pass. When it was clear to reconnect, I plugged everything back in, connected my cable and turned on my computer. However, my computer would not go past the "Microsoft Windows 98" screen. Basically it locked in that position.

I turned on the system and tried to log in again, with the same results. I turned it off, logged back in under the safe mode, with no problems. I shut the system down again and tried logging back in normally, but with no luck.

I need MAJOR help! I'm no computer "God" and I know there are people here that are more proficient than I am.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC to safe mode, click start all programmes, accessories, system tools, disc clean up then run disk defragmenter from system tools

Reboot the PC then keep tapping the F8 key right after the beep until you get the options screen, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix

When this has run, press enter then ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system information, tools, system file checker, scan for altered files, replace any it asks for from the Windows CD

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Keith,

I booted the system from safe mode, clicked start, programmes, accessories, system tools and performed disc clean up, without any problems. I started to run the disk defragmenter from system tools and it was running fine, until I received the following message:

"Windows cannot defragment this device because it contains errors that must first be repaired. Click help, carry out the instructions for repairing the errors, and then try defragmenting the drive again." There is an ID number of DEFRAG004 at the bottom of the pop-up window.

I clicked "Help" and they instructed me to perform a "Standard Scan Disc, " which I'm presently performing.

The scan completed, with the following statement:

"ScanDisck found errors on this drive and fixed them all"

I am going to try and defrag the system again.

Thanks for your assistance!

Edited by we3luvdisney, 08 June 2005 - 07:37 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Good that the errors were fixed

The hope is that you will replace the registry as scanreg.exe /fix will rebuild it, then when you run system file checker and replace missing or corrupt files from the 98 CD it should be as new

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Good that the errors were fixed

The hope is that you will replace the registry as scanreg.exe /fix will rebuild it, then when you run system file checker and replace missing or corrupt files from the 98 CD it should be as new

View Post

Wow, what service! I'm presently running the defrag (18% complete), when I finish I'll continue to following your instructions. I'll keep you posted.

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Keith,

Just a quick update. My system is 91% complete (Defrag). I'm sure it will take a little more time so most likely I'll finish tomorrow. I"ll log off the computer after it finishes and I'll continue with your instructions tomorrow. Thanks for your assistance.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for letting me know how it is going

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Keith,

My system finished the defrag. I followed your next step (scanreg.exe /fix) and it is presently running the "Microsoft Registry Checker. I have a check mark next to "Looking for valid system registry keys" and "Checking system registry structure." Both of these were at 100% complete and then a check mark was place next to these titles. My system is presently on the "Rebuilding system registry" step, but nothing is happening. It is at 0% complete.

Edited by we3luvdisney, 08 June 2005 - 10:04 PM.

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
A message just popped up, which states:

"Windows found an error in your system files and was unable to fix the problem. Try deleting some files to free up disk space on your Windows drive [I have no idea where that is or how to do it!]. If that doesn't work then you will need to install Windows to a new directory. [Again, I have no idea how to do this].

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot, you may need to press them twice in quick succession, let it reboot then run system file checker from system tools, system information, tools

Advertisements

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I assume that after I run system file checker from system tools, system information, tools --- you want me to run"registry checker." Coorect? If so, I receive the following message, "No errors found. The system registry has not been backed up today. Would you like to back the registry now?"

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Sorry, I just re-read your message and I'm presently running the system file checker. I just received a message that states file setupx.dll is corrupted and is located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

It gives me 3 options:

1. Update verification info
2. Restore file (from installation disk.
3. Ignore

I guess you want me to do #2?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No I'm really confused. I place my system disc in the CD, clicked "OK" and I now receive a message, "The file was not found. Verify that you have selected the correct 'Restore from' location and try again.

My hard drive is locaton "C", my floppy is location "A" and I thought my CD was location "E". The information in my retore file screen has that file setupx.dll will be restored from E:\WIN98SEU\

When I select "Browse," the only options I have are:

1. Mycomputer
a. 3 1/2 Floppy (A)
b. Main Drive ©
c. My digital camera

2. My Documents

3. Share to Web Upload folder

Edited by we3luvdisney, 08 June 2005 - 10:47 PM.

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Keith,

It's 12:45 AM ---- why don't we call it a night and try to finish this tomorrow? Thanks again for all your help!