Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Probs

• Please log in to reply

kroberts

kroberts

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
<_< I have been anonymouse (meant to spell it that way!) on this site at various times and since learning about keeping the registry clean have often done the "Save user.dat & system.dat", then dropped to DOS and scanreg/fix then saved that! Since getting BT Broadband, and after many GPF's due to USB's conflics due to Anti-virus programs still running after re-boot, and re-loading programs several times, decided to clean up the registry again. However it does the initial scan, then locks up at the 2nd line, checking file structure, stops at 2%? PC is running Ok, spybot, Adaware6, stinger and Antivir no reports? Any idea whats up with Scanreg please? :D

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi kroberts, welcome to GTG! <_<

I may be wrong, but I don't think what you're doing is necessary. I believe Win98 checks the registry automatically at every boot, and also creates a backup. I have no idea why scan reg would quit. Have you tried leaving it for 10-15 minutes to see if it continues? Or, perhaps another program like regclean.

kroberts

kroberts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
:D Thanks for the quick response, whilst you are very correct in saying that windows creats a backup copy of the registry every day it re-boots and are stored as rb00 to rb04 cab files, the reason for doing a scanreg/fix is that I was led to believe that it scans the registry and fixes it by taking out all the irronious key values that are no longer used from programs that have been installed/uninstalled making it cleaner and more compact and stable. My other concern is that if scanreg does'nt work, how could I do a scanreg/opt to restore a previous rb cab if the registry gets corrupted? Apart from saving, (As I do), a working version of the user.dat and system.dat and copying them to windows in DOS? Or do I worry too much? Can I extract scanreg from the system disc and replace it? Or do you think there is something in the registry preventing scanreg from working? <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Can I extract scanreg from the system disc and replace it?

That would be a very good place to start. <_<

kroberts

kroberts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
:D Ok, I imported Scanreg.exe from the system disc and run it, it gives the same results? i.e. does the scan, then gets to "Repairing C:\windows\ system.dat" Then on "Checking System registry structure (of system.dat)" it locks up? I've left it for two hours, but still the same? I've been all through the Microsoft database, but none of it is relevent as I don't get any error messages like, file path to vxd, or out of memory, I've even checked to make sure I have enough memory to run the program in DOS? Scanreg.ini is as per default as well! Time to buy Regmechanic? <_< Any idea why it suddenly stopped please??

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Must be some corruption in your registry. A third party registry cleaner may work, but backup first! <_<

cronista

cronista

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Reading about these Scanreg errors made me curious. So I shut down the machine and came back up into DOS (selected from the same menu that has Safe Mode as one choice).
I ran scanreg /fix and the process hurried through one phase (I think it was checking/fixing the System.dat file) but when it came to the next phase (I think it was checking/fixing the User.dat file), it got to about 2% and halted. I left it there while I made another pot of coffee. Came back and it was still 2% so had to do a hard shutdown to get things going again.
So I, too, have encountered this Scanreg /fix error. Note, however, that no error message is presented; just observe that the process is hung up on about 2% completion and never gets any farther.
I'm not having any problems (that I know of) with my Win98 OS. However, I wanted to confirm this scanreg problem, and I did. So what's the cause, or better yet, what's the solution?
Charles in Phoenix Arizona